375 H &H - Northamptonshire

cjm1066

I will be moving to Northamptonshire soon, any one any experience with the Police's attitude to a 375?

Thanks
[h=2][/h]

A friend of mine lives in Northamptonshire and they have given him loads of grief about his 375.

im from manchester and ive got one on my certificate, and i refused to take no for an answer, as long as you have got good reason and place to shoot, they have to give it to you, just do a little homework first before you apply. if you gonna use it at the range ask your club to give you the muzzle energy and velocity chart, every range got one, supply all the info to your Firearm officer, once you've done every thing on ur part by the book, i believe they have no choice.

Get it before you move. Nhants a pain in the arse for anything bigger than a pea shooter. Or you'll get a load of restrictions like only to shoot abroad etc.

ha ! I had trouble getting a 308 best bet get it now in Linc's or be prepared for a long wait after you've moved here .
Norma

Ah! Well here goes :stir:. Perhaps Northants have got a point ? The .375HH Mag. is a bit of a 'cannon' designed for plains game isn't it ?

Is there really a good reason for one to shoot deer in the UK ? What will the .375HH Mag. do that a 30-06 (or many others) won't, other than put a bigger dent in your wallet ? :-|:D:coat:.

Ah! Well here goes :stir:. Perhaps Northants have got a point ? The .375HH Mag. is a bit of a 'cannon' designed for plains game isn't it ?

Is there really a good reason for one to shoot deer in the UK ? What will the .375HH Mag. do that a 30-06 (or many others) won't, other than put a bigger dent in your wallet ? :-|:D:coat:.

ah but norm, that's just it, the point is what will a .3006 do that 8x57 won't, or .308 for that matter..... But if you've got a rifle on your ticket that's for overseas use, and you have access to suitable land at home why on earth shouldn't you be able to use it? A 22250 round will go just as far if pointed in the right direction (and by comparison are more often used at night where people can't always see backstops etc...).
i agree if you apply for one for uk use alone, good luck, but ultimately the deer won't know know it's been killed by too much bullet for the job.... Dead is dead....

I never had a muntjac complain at being shot by the .375!

Quite right, Deerstalker 308. We all need to practise with our rifles, and a 375 H&H is potentially a "dangerous game" rifle. And you really don't need any glitches when you are up against them. If you use a relatively "hard" softnosed bullet, the damage to even small deer is not huge.
Marcher

I have held a 375HH on my ticket for over 25 years, never had an issue with Kent police. Have used it abroad on numerous occasions, and it is conditioned for deer, boar and even fox on my current ticket.

I will admit I have never used it in anger in the UK, but could do if I wanted. I have used it a few times on the range I have on the estate wen sighting in before going abroad. There should be no problem with owning one, after all there is a minimum calibre for deer, but NO maximum.

ah but norm, that's just it, the point is what will a .3006 do that 8x57 won't, or .308 for that matter..... But if you've got a rifle on your ticket that's for overseas use, and you have access to suitable land at home why on earth shouldn't you be able to use it? A 22250 round will go just as far if pointed in the right direction (and by comparison are more often used at night where people can't always see backstops etc...).
i agree if you apply for one for uk use alone, good luck, but ultimately the deer won't know know it's been killed by too much bullet for the job.... Dead is dead....

All true.... but as it doesn't 'fit my case', I have no option but to do a @Gov.uk and ignore inconvenient facts.:doh:

I never had a muntjac complain at being shot by the .375!
Well I heard that eight out of ten Muntjac, who responded to a recent poll, expressed a preference for the .222 Rem. :fib::D

Best wishes to the OP with his application.

Dont hold your breath:D it might take a long time but if you have good reason Northants can be reasonable too but dont get fobbed off with what the FEOs tell you, go direct to the firearms licensing manager.

Ian.

Dont hold your breath:D it might take a long time but if you have good reason Northants can be reasonable too but dont get fobbed off with what the FEOs tell you, go direct to the firearms licensing manager.

Ian.

Although I don't come under Northants, I've had very good service from their FEO's who went out of their way to help me out. Infact, I've found them very helpful and friendly on several occasions. The O.P's large calibre concern may be another matter though.

Last edited:
I had no problems at all moving or on the recent renewal. The FEO Andy knows his job, renewal was a 45 minute visit, it would have been 30 but he had a trainee who struggled finding serial numbers.

No comments on no of guns or calibre, it's the easiest and most efficient renewal in over 40 years holding a FAC.

One of the biggest reasons for being allowed to shoot your medium bore in the UK is practice and familiarity before going abroad

Might not hold much water with the police as an argument for having it conditioned here, but it is a 'real life' good reason to be able to shoot it in the UK

If shooting on a range, check with the standing orders of that range to ensure that you can shoot a 4000 ftlb muzzle energy rifle on it

You might have to go through the High Muzzle Energy process with a suitably qualified RCO

Can't harm your case to have all that stuff in place

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm going through this process for a 'little old' 9.3 at the mo (8 weeks and counting since i sent in the variation)

You don’t work for basc do you ? That one sounds straight out of thier handbook ....

You don’t work for basc do you ? That one sounds straight out of thier handbook ....
As this thread is years old the goalposts have shifted a bit.
The OP hasn’t said whether he applied for Deer as the primary use, or revealed the Condition on the .375.
My guess is that deerstalking is allowed under AOLQ so post #6 is still valid.

Actually, no the .375HH mag is really not a cannon.
It’s a very good round for Red deer and boar.

Back