Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Pouches

Bullet Pouches

I may be missing the point here but what do people use bullet pouches for? Is it for guns with a floorplate so you have something to put the rounds in when you unload or do people take out more than a full mag out stalking. Or is it just because they look nice?

Thanks

Probably as many answers as respondents...optimism about the likely numbers to be encountered? Knowledge about the likely numbers to be encountered? PPPPPP - not much good at home in the ammo safe if you need it? Different ammo for different targets? Pessimism about ability to connect bullet with target?

I have a full magazine and a five clip from a Norma box in my pocket, in full expectation of maybe using one but a few experiences of two shots and two animals on an outing. So in my case optimism!

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 07-04-2016 at 16:21. Reason: added pessimism, scans better!

I have a floorplate mag, so I use a pouch to keep my rounds safe and organised before loading up (and after unloading).
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by wardle View Post
    I may be missing the point here but what do people use bullet pouches for? Is it for guns with a floorplate so you have something to put the rounds in when you unload or do people take out more than a full mag out stalking. Or is it just because they look nice?

Thanks
    Try stalking into a deer with extra rounds clinking around in your coat pocket .. that`s what bullet pouches are for.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Your better looking at them than looking for them. Always go out with rounds in rifle and some in my pouch.

M

Goes back to the day of single shot and double rifles, which many of us still use. You want to be able to grab one or two rounds for a quick reload.

I usually fill up my mag and 1 in the spout , the spare one when i unload goes in a separate pocket so there is no noise. If I loose off 5 shots I'v either ran out of boot space, or I shouldn't be shooting ahah!

So for most it seems to be either backup or for when unloaded with a floor plate,

im known to go massively overkill with cartridges for the shotgun, yet rarely take more than a mag out with me when shooting , unless I am lamping.

"you can never have too many books, too much wine or too much ammunition"

Rifle becomes an expensive tomato stake without ammo.
    I usually proceed with a full mag and 5 in a hankie, plastic clip or leather/suede "pouch"

never needed them, but used them often

I like to do a bit of long range plinking when coming off the hill
    caught many a hoodie crow whilst eyeing up the gralloch not the departing stalker
    once had 3 foxes in a row..
    etc etc

Always take MTM box with 20 rounds in it ( full ) easy to check in the dark that all cases are accounted for.

There's a few of reasons I go out with more than a mag full. First and foremost, one of my rifles only has a three round mag and I stalk in Muntjac Central (Norfolk), so there's a very good chance I will get more than one deer.
    Next, with that in mind, there's always the possibility of needing another shot on any beast. Only happens very infrequently, but has been known.
    Lastly, if I have an unexplained miss, I like to be able to shoot a group to confirm whether or not all's well with the rifle.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.