Le Chameau or Harkila wellies

willowbank

Hi chaps,

my present pair of Le Chameau wellies are approaching end of life and due to cost of replacements, and the fact that I give my wellies a really hard time, (average life span 2 seasons) I am considering my options for similar replacements with full length zips.
Harkilas are cheaper but how about the quality? Anyone tried them?

thanks for input,

atb WB.

Alright matey...

I've recently replaced my Le Chameau's with a new pair, heard all the scare stories but risked it. To be fair I don't recon there as well built as my old pair.... We'll see how that last up but just like them for comfort.

Good luck in your search.

WH

I purchased a pair of the Harkila Forester 17" zip 5mm neoprene. I greatly appreciate the convenience of the full length zip and warm and comfort of the boots. Equally, despite the high cost and quality sole, the design does rather give the appearance of not being able to stand up to 'hard' wear. Being mindful of this, I have taken great care not to use them for purposes and in areas that I would judge to be 'hard' wear. Instead, for what I consider to be 'hard wear', I wear walking boots and gaiters.

I have had the wellies now for 18-months, during which I have covered over 200-miles (I keep track of the distance I cover in all of my 'sporting' footwear using a Garmin sports watch) over farm land and they are still going strong. There have been odd occasions I have gingerly stepped through brambles or hawthorn and I guess I have just been lucky not to tread on any thorns big enough to puncture the sole or uppers.

Liking the design, a good friend of mine also purchased the same wellies. After covering a thousand miles or more walking his dog twice daily across farm land over 12-months, they developed a split on the toe. This is seemingly a common complaint judging by the responses to similar threads over the years. Uttings replaced without quibble, although I would personally question whether the issue was caused through reasonable wear and tear or genuine product failure, especially since the soles were almost worn through too.

Frankly, I wouldn't personally expect these wellies to last very long under the same type of volume or type of use that walking boots are more specifically and appropriately designed to cope with. Interestingly, and despite his first experience, my friend still appreciated the design and construction sufficiently to have Uttings send him another pair in replacement of his first pair, rather than any alternative. Now also more mindful of the limitations of the product, unless properly wet, he too now opts for his walking boots rather than the wellies.

I do quite a bit of feeding and stuff (technical term there) on a small pheasant shoot and pretty much go through a pair of wellies yearly. Muck boots are great. They are certainly warm and give good support to the ankle for wellies. the drawbacks are that the neoprene at the top is prone to snagging and if that happens they lose what little good looks they have. Depending on the soles, you have to watch yourself on hard, wet surfaces. The rubber eventually goes on them, but I'm happy with their longevity.

I've also got a pair of Harkila full zip boots. I don't wear them as much so can't comment on how long they last. The first thing I noticed about them is that they are pretty heavy. The zips are also a bit prone to undoing from time to time as well. But they are comfortable and warm.

My current pair of muck boots are on their last legs (boom boom) and just today I've bought a pair of Hoggs boots. They don't have a zip but do have the half way down adjustment things. So I'll see how they go.

I purchased a pair of the Harkila Forester 17" zip 5mm neoprene. I greatly appreciate the convenience of the full length zip and warm and comfort of the boots. Equally, despite the high cost and quality sole, the design does rather give the appearance of not being able to stand up to 'hard' wear. Being mindful of this, I have taken great care not to use them for purposes and in areas that I would judge to be 'hard' wear. Instead, for what I consider to be 'hard wear', I wear walking boots and gaiters.

I have had the wellies now for 18-months, during which I have covered over 200-miles (I keep track of the distance I cover in all of my 'sporting' footwear using a Garmin sports watch) over farm land and they are still going strong. There have been odd occasions I have gingerly stepped through brambles or hawthorn and I guess I have just been lucky not to tread on any thorns big enough to puncture the sole or uppers.

Liking the design, a good friend of mine also purchased the same wellies. After covering a thousand miles or more walking his dog twice daily across farm land over 12-months, they developed a split on the toe. This is seemingly a common complaint judging by the responses to similar threads over the years. Uttings replaced without quibble, although I would personally question whether the issue was caused through reasonable wear and tear or genuine product failure, especially since the soles were almost worn through too.

Frankly, I wouldn't personally expect these wellies to last very long under the same type of volume or type of use that walking boots are more specifically and appropriately designed to cope with. Interestingly, and despite his first experience, my friend still appreciated the design and construction sufficiently to have Uttings send him another pair in replacement of his first pair, rather than any alternative. Now also more mindful of the limitations of the product, unless properly wet, he too now opts for his walking boots rather than the wellies.

Hi Tim,

thank you for taking the time to do a pretty good review, you mention thorns big enough to puncture the sole, this happened to me a couple of years ago when I carelessly trod on a Blackthorn branch that had been cut off with a flail hedge cutter, the 2" thorn came up between the cleats of the Chameau boot into my foot... Stopped me in my tracks. I expect I will give the Harkilas a try this year and just see how I get on. Do the Zips stand up to everyday use, although most of the time I don't do them up anyway especially during the Summer months.

atb WB

Pleasure WB and I can't speak too much about daily use, although over the winter, I have walked in them over fields pretty much daily. I've not yet had any issue with the zips undoing, although have noticed them looser now than when new.

Another word of caution; the reviews of the boots on this forum are extremely mixed and I believe the main reason I haven't had any trouble is simply recognising and allowing for their limitations. These are not hard wearing boots. Rather luxury boots with all the convenience and comfort one would expect from the price tag, but that will simply not stand 'hard' use. That said, for the whole reason of comfort and convenience, I would still buy them again.
Another 'feature' worthy of note is that both mine and one of my friends two pairs for some bizarre reason are quite wide at the heel (his first pair weren't). This has meant that a second pair of socks have been necessary to stop the heels rubbing into blisters, as they did initially. Again irritating, but still not enough to swing the balance away from me preferring these boots over any other.

I only use my Le chameau's in the winter for working the spaniels and duck and Pheasant shooting. Great boots but i do wash them off and silicon spray them. They are in there 5 season.
The first pair of Muck boots i had were lethal in the snow and Ice. I do have a pair of Muck boot tay artic that i use when sitting out for boar in the winter. Not had cold feet yet.

As Le Chameau & Harkila are in budget, then +3 on Aigle. I went with Toggi as they are half the price, as was my budget, but will trade up to Aigle when able.

Had my Harkila full zips for 3 years now. Still as good as new. I also have Chameau leather lined - but they are sooo flimsy.
The zip on the Harkila's doesn't go quite so far down the boot as the Chameau's - so has an easier life.
Present Harkilas are 'almost' as good as an old pair of Scottish built Royal Hunters: the best wellie I ever had.

Aigle parcours

Same for me too! I am on my 3rd pair. I wear these boots daily and hard, they are looked after, by this I mean kept clean and aired. My current pair were 'started' in Oct 2013. They are worn for everything from dog-walking to Highland stalking, game-shooting, wildfowling etc etc. Comfortable, reasonably supportive around the ankle, hard-wearing and comfortable sole.....walk miles in them!

'Camodog'.

I was given a 2nd hand pair of Harkila sporting estate gtx 17" leather wellies/boots and I have used and abused them for 2 years and they are still my favourite boot despite the soles being so worn out they are like "slicks" now.
I have thrown some horrible conditions at them relentlesly and they havnt faultered

Have you considered Arxus ? When my boots needed replacing I was recommended Arxus and in my humble opinion they're better than the 'known' brands and are taking everything I throw at them - well worth a look...

I was bought a pair of Harkila Foresters for Christmas 2014. Cost around £140 and both boots have split/separated in the same area where the upper meets the raised piece around the toe. Not impressed and won't be buying anymore.
DD

Le Chameau are the best but old quality my are around 10 years old and still very good even if I take it when cutting woods and across the fields I RECOMMEND IT.

RISING IN PRICE IS DUE TO UK ECONOMY SHRINKING FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS. WHEN I BOUGHT MINE i PAID AROUND 139 GBP at Midlands game fair 2006.

If someone want exclusive right to sell Serbian Brand Tigar Boots

this pair is the most expensive and it is 35 GBP comparing to a anything cheaper that is offered in the UK 5 times better and 3 times cheaper.

have a look
http://www.internet-prodaja.tigar.com/LovackaDetalji.aspx?artikal=93019&broj=42

Back