Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police to be given power to make firearms law?

Police to be given power to make firearms law?

Picked up on this by a link on FB.

https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.com...ust-stop-this/

Just been reading this, I must add my other half has just had her renewal visit (Target only), I was amused to hear the repeated comment by the missus, she(the feo, formerly a soco worker)had asked my missus if she had shot a minimum 6 visits during the last year, I said it's currently only 3 ......................
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I don't know whether we are in front or behind with gun laws down under.
    Why are governments so paranoid about gun laws and ownership?
    Is the revolution nigh?
    Grant.
    Don't hide from your mates in the bush!

I have a reputation for org bashing, apparently, so please take these comments in that light,i if you wish.

We have been told that recent changes to firearms law were to be welcomed and part of the negotiation(?) to achieve a ten year certificate. Andy Marsh, FELWEG lead, who is apparently seeking this change to implementation of the Guidance, is doing it not for the benefit of public safety but as a means of control. Some organisations have been duped by Marsh's motives in the past and walked blindly into further controls which we have been advised were never going to be conceded.
    I think the time has come to insist on formal consultation and the opportunity for shooting orgs to appeal directly to the Secretary of State. If anyone can accept the police making the law rather than advising on the making of it then they shouldnt be in shooting. Remember the 'shop a shooter' fiasco - that was Marsh, supported by one org until it blew up in their faces. This man and his supporting shooting organisation can not be trusted to see further than their own obsession with being at the top of the shooting tree.
    If that is org bashing then it is needed before more is allowed to slip through our fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    I have a reputation for org bashing, apparently, so please take these comments in that light,i if you wish.

We have been told that recent changes to firearms law were to be welcomed and part of the negotiation(?) to achieve a ten year certificate. Andy Marsh, FELWEG lead, who is apparently seeking this change to implementation of the Guidance, is doing it not for the benefit of public safety but as a means of control. Some organisations have been duped by Marsh's motives in the past and walked blindly into further controls which we have been advised were never going to be conceded.
    I think the time has come to insist on formal consultation and the opportunity for shooting orgs to appeal directly to the Secretary of State. If anyone can accept the police making the law rather than advising on the making of it then they shouldnt be in shooting. Remember the 'shop a shooter' fiasco - that was Marsh, supported by one org until it blew up in their faces. This man and his supporting shooting organisation can not be trusted to see further than their own obsession with being at the top of the shooting tree.
    If that is org bashing then it is needed before more is allowed to slip through our fingers.
    Well Said.

I contacted BASC to enquire about this, their answer seemed reasonable; this is all theoretically possible, but the government generally adheres to the principles of better regulation, meaning consulting with BASC etc. is already part and parcel of this.

Honestly, that particular news website worries me a little as it makes UK shooters seem a little too similar to the stereotypical image of a paranoid US Gun Nut (no offence meant to our US members, I know majority of shooters are not like that, however the media tries to present them). I find their articles very useful in highlighting issues that may have slipped under the radar, but very similar to other publications (e.g. Daily Mail) in their sensationalist reporting style.

Just my opinion of course.

Ryan

Sounds like it's already disseminated down the command chain if the new feo is talking "6" visits to retain a certificate for club shooting.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I thought most FADs made it up as they went along anyway, Hants were famous for it, to the extent you could own a lever release in Dorset , but hants said it was illegal.
    EJ perhaps you ought to be a bit more paranoid like our U.S. Cousins, then you might be treated as equal citizens.
    Nothing against BASC but, "the fact it is theoretically possible", and words like "generally adheres to principles " don,t fill me with confidence. The government and police have certainly paid a lot of attention to our representatives in the past

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricJackal View Post
    I contacted BASC to enquire about this, their answer seemed reasonable; this is all theoretically possible, but the government generally adheres to the principles of better regulation, meaning consulting with BASC etc. is already part and parcel of this.
    BASC's answers generally do seem reasonable. Yet I worry that they have not twigged that they are not dealing with reasonable powers - by which I do not mean the electorally-accountable government, but rather to some extent the Police; and overwhelmingly our obedient servants at the Home Office, who have more than likely still got the 1973 Green Paper in their minds (if not also on their desks) and whose ability to get their own way in the long game by a combination of clever negotiation and apparent (and possibly also real) incompetence is unlikely to be bettered by any other organisation.

That, coupled with an apparent risk that our own organisations might start to believe, misled by their own PR, that making the best of a bad job counts as a glorious triumph for the sporting public (e.g. FAC-applicants with certain pre-existing conditions having to pay unspecified GPs fees for reports required by the FLD) causes me some anxiety.