Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre DSC2

Pre DSC2

Hi Guys does anyone have any recommendations for pre DSC2 I need to get better at grollocking (sorry for the spelling) and lymph node identification , I have obviously done my DSC1 and wish to gain later this year dsc2. If any one you help or have any recommendations on who to use it would be greatly appreaciated, Ideally within about 50 miles radius of Worcester would be great but I am willing to travel further.

I think you will find BASC run some gralloching courses, but why not book some stalking with a good guide who can show you all aspects of what you need to know

why not sign up for your DSC2 when you get the info pack it will list accredited witnesses near you and you have three years to complete DSC2 so plenty of time for practise.

Quote Originally Posted by DamaDama.243 View Post
    why not sign up for your DSC2 when you get the info pack it will list accredited witnesses near you and you have three years to complete DSC2 so plenty of time for practise.
    Most sensible reply on this forum for a very long time.....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Hi Guys thanks for the replies, I did actually want to do it that way (apply then go through a AW) but was advised not to go down that route by somebody. I don't have a lot amount of stalking so would have to be on a AW ground if available any way. Who would you recommend I go with Basc or the BDS ?

Quote Originally Posted by DamaDama.243 View Post
    This only works if you have some prior experience and you are proactive in getting out enough to gain the necessary experience to bring you up to standard. If not, 3 years flies by and you end up under pressure to complete it. Build up some familiarity with the process and what you are looking at for a normal, healthy deer. Some you can learn through studying the best practice guides, other things need hands on experience. Better to be confident before you sign up.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    This only works if you have some prior experience and you are proactive in getting out enough to gain the necessary experience to bring you up to standard. If not, 3 years flies by and you end up under pressure to complete it. Build up some familiarity with the process and what you are looking at for a normal, healthy deer. Some you can learn through studying the best practice guides, other things need hands on experience. Better to be confident before you sign up.
    Absolutely Tackleberry. The OP is quite clear in that he's not overly experienced and doesn't have a lot of deer. I believe that the OP needs to do some paid stalks with a guide who will be happy to teach him the ropes which is part of what he's paying for.
    Alternatively, see if you can persuade a DSC2 qualified stalker to take you out and show you the ropes.
    Last edited by baguio; 08-04-2016 at 20:19.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndownes View Post
    Hi Guys thanks for the replies, I did actually want to do it that way (apply then go through a AW) but was advised not to go down that route by somebody. I don't have a lot amount of stalking so would have to be on a AW ground if available any way. Who would you recommend I go with Basc or the BDS ?
    BASC vs BDS won't make a lot of difference, so choose whichever you prefer.

If you speak with a few AW's I am sure you will find several who will be happy to help.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi John, I'm only Craven arms way , but work in Worcester everyday out and about , I have level 1 and level 2 where abouts are you in Worcestershire? More than willing to meet up and have a chat and see if I can point you in the right direction regards Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimsim View Post
    Hi John, I'm only Craven arms way , but work in Worcester everyday out and about , I have level 1 and level 2 where abouts are you in Worcestershire? More than willing to meet up and have a chat and see if I can point you in the right direction regards Jim
    Nice one Jim. Just what the OP needs.