Thread: New police force reissued cert - was open, now closed + other mistakes!

New police force reissued cert - was open, now closed + other mistakes!

I've recently moved home, and as such have moved police forces so sent my certs back with a change of address request.

10 weeks later, the certs have arrived, however my firearms cert has been changed from 'open' to 'closed'. Is this normal? I have always held an open cert so this is pretty annoying.

They have also missed off a moderator which was on my previous ticket, as well as adding on to my shotgun cert a shotgun I sold years ago, as well as missing off a shotgun which was purchased (and added on to my ticket) about 5 years ago! i.e. it doesn't seem like they have even looked at my previous certs in detail!

I'm not so worried about the missing mod and wrong shotguns, as I will notify them immediately to their mistake and I don't see an issue with them correcting this, but the open to closed bit concerns me. Do you reckon, given the number of mistakes they have made, that this was just oversight?

Thanks in advance.

I would say a mistake, seems to be not that unusual, I had rifles missing and old rifles added, not sure how accurate police records actually are, or if staff have time to update records.

I would be more worried about your missing mod and shotgun details! ... strictly speaking you are in illegal possession especially if you have signed the new cert. I hang on to my old cert until I have the new one in my hand even if it means a visit to the HQ. Don't sign it and send it back with polite letter!
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

You should have kept your certificates and not sent them in for an address change, the law only requires you to notify your current issuing force of any change in permanent address, no more.
    It does not matter where and how many times you move as long as your issuing office is informed, your FAC is valid until its expiry date from the issuing office no matter where you live and even if your new licensing area request it for a change of address. it is your right to say no.
    Your new licensing area might have different criteria for open conditions and now you are going to have to negotiate them open again.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    You should have kept your certificates and not sent them in for an address change, the law only requires you to notify your current issuing force of any change in permanent address, no more.
    It does not matter where and how many times you move as long as your issuing office is informed, .
    +1

It's never as simple as 'Open' or 'Closed' is it,they are all restricted to a degree and there is really no such thing as an 'Open' ticket so what exactly are the differences between your old one and the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    It's never as simple as 'Open' or 'Closed' is it,they are all restricted to a degree and there is really no such thing as an 'Open' ticket so what exactly are the differences between your old one and the new one?
    Changed from:
    ...used for shooting vermin, ground game, foxes and zeroing on ranges, or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

to

....used for shooting any lawful quarry and for zeroing/practice on ranges, or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

In that case I would definitely question it,and if I was you I would be joining SACS as a forum member on here at a reduced price as I am sure they would love to hear about this.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    In that case I would definitely question it,and if I was you I would be joining SACS as a forum member on here at a reduced price as I am sure they would love to hear about this.

Martin
    I'm waiting for a call back from the FEO to discuss first. Would BASC be helpful if it isn't a mistake? I'm fully paid up BASC member, but not SACS...

I'm hoping given the other oversights this may just be their default wording on new certs and it is something I can fix. Ideally I'd like to sit down with them and sort face to face but everything seems to have to happen over email & post!