Disinfectant wipes.

J DAVISON

Hi guys,could anybody please tell me where i can purchase some wipes that will fit into my belt pack,preferably the ones in a sealed plastic container?
Cheers JOHN

I got mine off ebay - search for 'probe wipes' or 'disinfecting wipes'. They came as a pack of six with about a hundred wipes in each small plastic dispenser box.

The Dettox ones are good for cleaning tools off, but a bit small.
Have a look in you local farm supply shop (Mole Valley, Scats, etc..) for Dairy Teat Wipes.
They come in bucket size containers (which obviously won't fit on your belt pack!) but can be folded into resealable plastic bags/ tupperware containers. They are even big enough to lay your tools out on!;)
MS:)

Lidl - they do the normal size ones and also giant ones (open up to about A3 size). I buy them all the time.

Stalkers UK do the wipes,spray and gel under the Camp Casey brand ( birchwood casey) in their Larder section

Why whats wrong with a hand full of grass/moss to clean your knife ,people seem to get way above the mark with the hygiene in the field thing, then put the carcass into a sack carry it about for another 2 hours stalking on there back take it back to the vehicle put in in a container of some sort then go back out stalking .

Hygiene is great in the processing area but have you ever stopped to think, what the carcass goes through before it actually gets there, were worried about cleaning a blade and your hands thats all fine but think about the bigger picture .
Like:
The carcass dragged for a couple of miles.
The roe sack it's in .
The vehicle you transport it in.

Ive seen all sorts in pictures supplied on web sites by the members, what Ive never seen is a carcass ever hanging in a refrigerated vehicle, or anyone with a white coat or apron on or any other hygienic clothing .

Theres no need to have a fit or bash the keyboard these are my observations, Ive done more than enough AW stalks, seen what people do, how carcasses are dealt with , this isn't only with deer it's also with in abattoirs, not everything is pristinely clean that also goes for the retail outlets it sold in .

Wipes

Wipes my !!!!. I`m with you on this one widows son. I carry some cleaning gear in the motor but hells teeth we will be walking around like surgeons if we followed all "best practice advice"

Maybe one of the problems nowadays with infections etc is that from a very young age the kids are just getting too clean!! :-|

Widows Son/Redneck

Cleaning the knife is more about preventing contamination between carcases, rather than contamination of carcases, or did that observation not occur to you?

:doh:

Also, I must have missed it in the briefing, but since when has an AW been able to interpret Best Practice Guidance as he individually sees fit? Just my observation, but perhaps a read of the Best Practice Guidance on Gralloching would not go amiss - here is the link: http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/carcass_gralloch.aspx :D ;)

willie_gunn

Thanks for pointing out that Willie Gunn ( one of my all time favourite salmon flies) i was being a bit tongue in cheek for reaction.

Normally i of course give my knife a good clean from beast to beast. I stand corrected on that point but honestly believe that the cleaniless regimes has reached phobia levels in some instances.. I have eaten shed loads of stuff that has been taken on our shoots and never been up nor down.

Just my take
Regards

Redneck

I agree with you 100% - we live in an era when people are trying to ensure zero risk, something which is neither desirable nor affordable (IMHO of course). What we have to find is the balance between good practice and paranoia ;)

willie_gunn

Do as you like if your eating it bit if it goes in the food chain you should try to eliminate all possible risk, good luck:doh:

Widows Son/Redneck

Cleaning the knife is more about preventing contamination between carcases, rather than contamination of carcases, or did that observation not occur to you?

:doh:

Also, I must have missed it in the briefing, but since when has an AW been able to interpret Best Practice Guidance as he individually sees fit? Just my observation, but perhaps a read of the Best Practice Guidance on Gralloching would not go amiss - here is the link: http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/carcass_gralloch.aspx :D ;)

===========================================================================================================================

Wullie your missing the point, this has nothing to do with the AW briefing ( which i have been a AW for many years) of which I never mentioned ,or has it anything to do with the Best Practice Guides (of which i have subscribe too since there arrival), what it has to do with is practicalities, tell me this, these wipes are relatively new ,within the last 10 years, how did we in the deer stalking world ever survive with out such things .

A the moss/grass thing .

I'd love to know just how many on the site stick there knife in the ground whilst gralloching I bet plenty ,Ive seen it done on load of witness stalks. lol

I know what i go out with and wipes are not in the equation ,gloves, I do sometimes wear depending what like my hands are (cuts) etc.

So were all wiped out and gloved up now, what about the rest of the things I did mention.

Cross contamination does come in all sort of forms, from cleaning down your boots (disinfectant ) before going on the hill/forest but again we don't do it , then theres the transportation of carcasses without a chiller, we don't do that either .

We now have a further dilemma at our door step thats Lead ammunition.

Which the forestry commission have now been using Copper for quite a while with success ,for deer species again ,someone in there wisdom shining a seat with there arse said we must look at the contamination of the lead in the bullet, good god the greatest % of houses in the UK have lead pipes and were worrying about a bullet and its contamination to meat .

Wullie I am in no way trying to rubbish your or anyone else's post, just to further the cross contamination theory ,by looking at the rest of the issues of which there are thousands .

More useless information on the Moss thing, it was used during the 1ST World War for wounds because of is abilities to absorb blood and its healing properties. ( discovery channel)

WS

What a long reply :) I guess we're unlikely to ever agree on this.

My point was not about sticking a knife in the ground - where they got that one from I've no idea :eek: - it was more that your previous long explanation about how we all treat carcases bore little, if any, relation to the real reason for cleaning a knife, which is to avoid cross contamination. The primary means of direct cross-contamination between carcases is the knife, not our boots, so surely it makes logical sense to clean it hygienically between grallochs?

My point about AW's interpreting Best Practice as they see fit is that this is what Best Practice says; "Cleanse the knife before and between gralloching animals (e.g. with a sterile wipe)." You may not agree with it, nor with people who follow that suggestion, but please don't make out that we're all some type of "Elf & Safety" freaks for deciding to do so.

As for "these wipes are relatively new ,within the last 10 years" that's hardly a reason not to use them! We didn't have widespread use of the Internet 10 years ago, but this thread is good evidence that we seem to have adopted that technology readily enough. ;)

willie_gunn

Wullie you should run for political office you just don't get it do you ,its not to do with sticking a knife in the ground it was just another scenario which Ive seen:doh: .

When you've done as many AW stalks as, I have come back and tell me everyone works to best practice guides :dummy:, It just doesn't happen:old:

What best practice says and what people do is two different things you can take that to the bank :tiphat:.

I have never seen anyone professional or other Wise pull out wipes to wipe down anything thats my point :banghead:.

Now as you have said you won't agree on any of what Ive written.:):D:cool::lol::p;):rolleyes::-|:eek::confused::doh::cry::D

When you've done as many AW stalks as, I have come back and tell me everyone works to best practice guides :dummy:, It just doesn't happen:old:
Widows Son

Ouch!! Did I touch a raw nerve by any chance? :) A shame to see healthy discussion be replaced by belittling comments though.

I bow to your greater experience, but standards change and best practices evolve. The fact that something was common practice in the past doesn't mean it can't be improved. When you finally see someone using a wipe are you going to mark them down against the PC? If not, what's your problem with people who choose to use them?

You might also want to look at the CD you got at the AW briefing. Check slide 65: "There is no specific way to carry out the gralloch, the candidate must ensure that practices are hygienic and that the gralloch is conducted in such a way as to prevent contamination from every possible source". What is one of the key features; "cross-contamination is prevented by use of disposable gloves or washing".

With regards to your general perception of Best Practice, and at the risk of you running out of emoticons, if you go to DMQ's own website, http://www.dmq.org.uk/DSC2.htm you will see that "Candidates are also advised to consult the Best Practice Guides issued for England and Wales or the Best Practice Guidance for Scotland, depending on where you live or stalk"?

If I was a candidate, how do you think I'd interpret your statement "What best practice says and what people do is two different things"? Not exactly confidence building is it?

willie_gunn

Last edited:
Back