Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for the gunsmiths on sd 22-250 accuracy problems

Question for the gunsmiths on sd 22-250 accuracy problems

Two friends of mine have had their 22-250s cut down to 16 inches one is a standard howa the other is a standard tikka 595 both shorter contour
    The both guns shoot without moderators fine out to 100 yards and shoot fine with moderators fitted to fifty yards
    But at 100 yard with moderators fitted bullets are all over the place.They are shooting standard 55 gr vmax factory ammo
    Your wisdom in this matter would be appreciated
    Regards mark

Why buy a high velocity rifle and shorten the barrel I suspect they have reduced the velocity by such an extent they made the bullets unstable.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I am asking for help not criticism in this matter please
    Regards mark

I would check that the bullets are not clipping the baffles. Shine a light down the mod, you may be able to see a bright patch or burr on some of the baffles.

It was a question not criticism
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Mark how do the rifles shoot with other ammunition in particular a flat based bullet?

I'll be totally honest and say that I don't know the answer to your original question but I'm just wondering if shortening the barrel has resulted in too short a barrel to stabalise the bullet properly when fired from such a high intensity cartridge. Though I would certainly have the alignment of the moderator and the muzzle crown checked as these have to be possible suspects.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mmbeatle View Post
    Two friends of mine have had their 22-250s cut down to 16 inches one is a standard howa the other is a standard tikka 595 both shorter contour
    The both guns shoot without moderators fine out to 100 yards and shoot fine with moderators fitted to fifty yards
    But at 100 yard with moderators fitted bullets are all over the place.They are shooting standard 55 gr vmax factory ammo
    Your wisdom in this matter would be appreciated
    Regards mark
    Are you saying that they lose accuracy beyond 100 yards or is that the furthest they have been shot at? Might be worth running them over a chronograph
    otherwise the crown and mod alignment need checking but altered barrel harmonics should also be considered. May be worth trying alternative loads, possibly with lighter bullets. I bet the muzzle blast without mod is impressive! My 22/250 wears a 20 inch tube and still holds sub 1/2 in so I would be surprised if the loss of velocity alone is responsible. Are any bullet holes showing key holing?
    Last edited by srvet; 10-04-2016 at 09:31.

Define "all over the place"

accuracy at 50 with the mod is only down to the distance being too close to show variables

what are the group sizes without mod at 100yds, better still 200 yds?

assuming the mod fitment is square and true...

The 22-250 is too big a case to expect all the powder to be burned inside 16" especially if using the usual powder speeds in factory ammo
    likely the the mod is receiving an awful lot of still burning charge as the bullet passes through
    speculation but it is possible that this is destabilising the bullets as the charge flares up in the suddenly expanded void of the mod.

Clipping is obvious usually, less the spherical bullet holes, witness marks in the mod internals

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    The 22-250 is too big a case to expect all the powder to be burned inside 16" especially if using the usual powder speeds in factory ammo
    likely the the mod is receiving an awful lot of still burning charge as the bullet passes through
    speculation but it is possible that this is destabilising the bullets as the charge flares up in the suddenly expanded void of the mod.
    i would go with this Mark.

the possibility of the charge gasses being held back by the mod is destabilising the bullets, sadly no matter what bullet you use the gas will still be held back in the mod, hence the reason the shots seem to be not to bad when the mod is not used,

i would also also forget the 50 yard shots,as edd say this is way to close to show variables, in my mind the 16" could be just a tad to short for the 22/250.

regards

bob.
    Last edited by bobjs; 10-04-2016 at 10:02.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Mark, try a mod made for a 308.
    edi