Pocket Sharpener

Nobleman

Does anyone use a Pocket Knife Sharpening tool like the one in the pic or are they as i suspect a waste of a £10 note.

Lansky-Pocket-Sharpener-Large-Picture.jpg

To be honest, I've got better things to do in the field than sharpen my knives and they get sharpened at home on a strop before I head out.

These could be a superb piece of kit though, I'll just never find out:D

I've got one on my key ring for emergencies. It puts an edge on but it is very destructive in the process.

Last edited:
I've got one on my key ring for emergencies. It put's an edge on but it is very destructive in the process.

Thats what i thought its probably not worth the bother then i might just as well buy a spare knife to get me out of trouble as and when needed.

I carry a couple of Mora knives and save the head and legs to last, and have not shot more than two animals at a time so do not knacker the edge.

However if I was in need of a sharpener I would not want to use one with that fixed (and to my mind obtuse) vee angle. I use one of the folding DMT blue and red to sharpen most knives, it is not much larger to carry and means you can redress at exactly the angle you require.

I think they also do a key ring version, but the longer the tool the easier it is to maintain the angle relative to the blade.

Back at the ranch I hone, strop and or buff before the blade I go out again.

Alan
View attachment 68840IMG_2556.jpg

Last edited:
I carry the small DC3 stone from fallkniven. Cheap, double sided and restores a good edge. A nice quick way to sharpen in the field if needed.

Just the jobbie Alan. I`ve used a DMT like that for the last 14 years out in the field. Use a steel back at the larder..

I carry a couple of Mora knives and save the head and legs to last, and have not shot more than two animals at a time so do not knacker the edge.

However if I was in need of a sharpener I would not want to use one with that fixed (and to my mind obtuse) vee angle. I use one of the folding DMT blue and red to sharpen most knives, it is not much larger to carry and means you can redress at exactly the angle you require.

I think they also do a key ring version, but the longer the tool the easier it is to maintain the angle relative to the blade.

Back at the ranch I hone, strop and or buff before the blade I go out again.

Alan
View attachment 68840View attachment 68841

I use the similar model by Lansky. The tapered diamond dust steel is good for dressing up cerations, but you have to be careful to control the angle and be gentle. A tapered ceramic stone is still needed to finish that job.

The carbide edge sharpeners are aggressive, and I will use it on a hatchet or a machete to dress it up, but prefer a fine file or round two-sided carbide stone.

The ceramic rods in the Smith's and Lansky are about 30 degrees, 15 on each side, which is the same as one of the notches on their system with the moving stones. One reason for this angle is that they market them for sharpening scissors, and they will do that. They are good for keeping an edge on a pocketknife, if you have it set at 15 degrees, or sharpening fish hooks.

I sharpen all my knives on 8 inch Arkansas stones, so they are way sharper than you can get a knife with these little tools. I got started with them by getting them for free as advertising swag, and they work really well for safely sharpening a two-blade broadhead on the shaft.

The little USGI 3-inch Arkansas stone by Rothco is my favorite for all these field jobs. The plastic supports it, the snap on cover protects it and your kit from the oil.

Sorry but the best thing is to throw it in the bin, hate them, I where a leather belt on my trousers, and use that as a strop if needed ( just put some surf poo on a small area) but a good quality well sharpened knife will dress out several deer.

Back