Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Building A Rifle Range?

Cost of Building A Rifle Range?

The rifle club that I am a member of is having some issues with antiquated buildings and increased land rentals, does anyone have a rough idea what it would cost to build a basic 100m range on new ground to a standard that satisfies the authorities? What sort of legal issues are involved?

atb Tim

try Liddlesdale on here

Try a pm to Flyboy270, he has some groundwork / research behind him.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

SD Regular
    The rifle club that I am a member of is having some issues with antiquated buildings and increased land rentals, does anyone have a rough idea what it would cost to build a basic 100m range on new ground to a standard that satisfies the authorities? What sort of legal issues are involved?
    Hi Tim, I am sorry that your club is having "landlord" issues. So here's my input. I hope it is useful.

1) Constructing a fully open air new range is going to be expensive and costly. Unless you can find an abandoned military range with the butts in place AND a danger area you are looking to some heavy burdens of cost and that's just to purchase. I'm guessing that land on the Isle of Wight isn't cheap? And you'll always be vulnerable to noise complaints...be aware of that!

2) Fortunately the MoD is no longer involved in the process so, in some respects, the matter of a danger area can be addressed with a sufficiently high back stop and/or using pipes to fire through. Indeed a tunnel or pipe range with a shed or hut at one end as the firing point (like Calton Moor) is probably the cheapest and most cost effective solution. And least land hungry. Dig a half trench, lay the pipes, use the removed spoil to cover the pipes over. Done!

3) But...how old are your members? What is the number of members? It may be that if you are all over forty, fifty then offering an increased rent to the existing landlord may be the simplest solution. Or offering to lease the land for twenty years. Or buy it?

4) But FWIW my advice is unless you are somewhere in the wild wildernesses that 2) is probably be the the simplest solution? The question, really, is how many members actually need a one hundred yard range and how many would be actually OK with fifty metres? Don't let the selfish few cause expense for the fifty metre majority.

5) If the one hundred yard distance is just for the benefit of members with stalking zero needs? Well it may be better for them to lease land which they can just use to zero on using that condition on an FAC.

I was a member of a club in the 1980s that the selfish few wanted fifty metres for the half dozen of them that shot Police Pistol II. So it had to be an outdoors site on a lease. Whereas the better, cheaper, more long term solution would have been a twenty five metre range in a factory unit. And, most weekends, most members put their targets at twenty five metres anyway!

The club, in effect, "split" and guess what? The twenty five metre people went to another club and then to an indoor unit. The outside range is long gone. The lease ran out, the members were getting lder and didn't like shooting in the winter, and a housing estate got built downrange on land that the club didn't control. When the landlord wanted it back all the money in a stop butt and a purpose built brick firing point was wasted. All was demolished.

The indoor range? Still going strong. And, of course, still offering shooting into the evenings that on an outdoor range in winter would be impossible. Parking on proper concrete hard standing, road access as it's in a city, and etc., etc.. Folks can and do even drop in after work at 7pm, 8pm and etc..

You might like to contact The Lincolnshire Shooting centre at Burgh Le Marsh as they have put in a 100m outside range in the last couple of years.

Thinking of what my brother did in N.Wales many years back. They bought an old railway tunnel and put a shed at one end and a 'stop' wall barrier at the other. I think its still going. It may sound a daft idea but try researching old railway lines in your area and you might get lucky and rent it from a farmer???

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post

atb Tim
    Lots and lots of legal and even more planning issues involved. Not impossible but darned hard and a very costly business that will involve a great deal of delay (years) in gaining the necessary permissions. Identifying and then purchasing or obtaining a long term lease on a suitable location can be quite frustrating with many false leads. Been there and done it so I would suggest that if possible come to an arrangement so that you can continue using your existing range if at all possible. Even if you had an unlimited budget expect such a project to take several years to come to fruition unless of course you just happen to find the ideal location straight off and manage to secure it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza308 View Post
    Thinking of what my brother did in N.Wales many years back. They bought an old railway tunnel and put a shed at one end and a 'stop' wall barrier at the other. I think its still going. It may sound a daft idea but try researching old railway lines in your area and you might get lucky and rent it from a farmer???
    I assume you mean here :
    Bangor Rifle Club

Just a few thoughts - first, who is advising you on rentals ? There seems to be some scope for reducing the rent if the buildings are poor, that is unless your landlord is looking to use the land for something else - Take a peek at your local plan and have a word with the planners to establish your understanding before attempting re negotiation.
    Re Bangor and other places like it - good setup but the terms of their lease or purchase will be critical - repair and maintenance of a tunnel formed by hand in the 1800's isnt on my wish list. Bangors range is much reduced from its original 1000 yds to just over 200 because of safety. Is there a local MOD range you can book ?
    They seem fairly well scattered like Sealand and Oswestry so booking someone else's with a reasonable travelling distance might be a good solution. Possible negotiating point.
    Finally I would think there are tow ways to construct a range - you MUST own the land and that might be the killer as you will otherwise have a condition to reinstate and you need time to benefit from the expenditure. The first method is to offer it as a tip for subsoil and shape the backstops yourself - you will need planning and a plan. Dressing the formed mounds with sand will cost you a good deal - I'd guess at close to 10k this is on top of purchase. The range formed at Calton Moor Range is very well done - no wind and properly laid out like Bangor - Mike would (I feel sure) explain how he managed it and approximate costs but its constructed of concrete sewer pipes dia upwards of 700mm dia with proper benches to fire from, ventilation and CCTV to see the targets. You would need an access point to change targets /maintain CCTV etc but since the arrangement is beneath ground, but not far below ground level, planning should be easier.
    I have just read you are in the Isle of Wight. I'd expect MOD ranges near you. Nothing in the cliffs ?
    Good luck - I'd try MOD first.
    P.S. Calton Moor can take .5 BMG check any calibre restrictions on leasing or construction.
    Last edited by kes; 11-04-2016 at 09:03.

Kes are you familiar with the costs of hiring a MOD range and the restrictions on use?
    While many clubs are reliant on regularly hiring MOD ranges the MOD and Landmark don't exactly make it easy or cheap to do so. In the long run it is much better for clubs to have the use of their own civilian ranges if they can.

Tube ranges are certainly worth considering but they are quite restrictive in the type of shooting that they can accommodate. Brilliant for zeroing and load development but rather limiting otherwise. Ranges in disused tunnels can be useful but once again they have problems of their own so not the simple solution that most people think they are.
    Last edited by 8x57; 11-04-2016 at 09:42.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.