And the Tables Turn !

Lucky dog, could have been a far worse outcome. The owner sounded like his a*s* was knitting buttons . Lucky the piggies could understand Portuguese language.

Saw this on FB and thought what a tosser, he should have started shouting and getting involved a lot quicker in my opinion, a few shots wouldn't have gone amiss either.

A fellow rifle club member was telling me the other evening of his brother who was recently walking two dogs close to home just outside Coleford when the dogs disturbed a couple of sows. The sows ended up attacking both the walker and the two dogs. The younger dog ran home shaken but unharmed but the older dog was badly cut resulting in a £250 vet bill to stitch her up. The sows which were relatively small knocked the chap off his feet and were charging him from both sides simultaneously hitting both his legs and torso fortunately he finally managed to beat them off and made good his escape though badly bruised.

However he described the experience as "fighting for his life like he was on the ground outside The Eagle in Coleford on a Saturday night".

Last edited:
I hadn't realised that the boar could be that aggressive without significant provocation. That's it the dog stays in the car when I try for boar... In fact I reckon that I'll stay in car too!

And this gentlemen is further evidence in support of my firmly held belief that pigs are not to messed with lightly!! A wounded or grumpy pig is a most unpleasant creature to be in close proximity to and if you like your legs and dog in one piece, use plenty of gun!

A sow is very dangerous because there are usually little ones somewhere nearby.

When I was a boy, my brother and a friend were playing in a big creek, swinging on vines from a high bank to the other side, or dropping into the water. A bunch of shoats heard the splashing and came running to play, with the sow close behind. We climbed the vines and hung on while she fought three brave dogs, and left mine for dead (he recovered).

My aunt was almost killed in a similar situation years before when she ran to a creek where wild boar were drinking and frightened the little ones. A sow grabbed her by the leg and shook her. My father saved her by throwing a large rock and knocking the sow almost unconscious, then grabbing his sister and carrying her to the house. She fully recovered, but had about twenty stitches.

Anybody that would behave like that doesn't deserve to have a dog. If I wrote here what I think of him I think it would be censored :(

Understand your thoughts on this , maybe he didn't have much time. whole different ball game climbing a tree under pressure of getting gouged by that lot.

Seems awful quick to judge we are !!!

Understand your thoughts on this , maybe he didn't have much time. whole different ball game climbing a tree under pressure of getting gouged by that lot.
Seems awful quick to judge we are !!!

I think under the circumstances I would be thinking of my dog before myself, I might have to change my mind if the pigs turned on me tho !

I think under the circumstances I would be thinking of my dog before myself, I might have to change my mind if the pigs turned on me tho !

Understand where you are coming from and yours is a truly admirable statement. I was just pointing out that things can look a whole lot different from the reality.

Having had a bit of experience with domestic sows and piglets on occasion years ago, pigs are not things to tangle with lightly.

Anybody that would behave like that doesn't deserve to have a dog. If I wrote here what I think of him I think it would be censored :(

So as an unarmed dog walker, you personally would defend your dog (that started the contest) against a wild boar or two ?
I think you'd end up as a darwin award winner, but good luck anyway.

Neil. :)

Have to say, the dog could probably outrun the pig and I couldn't! Also we ofen have a lot more responsibilities than our dog. So let's not get out the tar and feathers just yet. We are certainly a long way from the nails and hammer as well.

David.

Do not underestimate Pigs they are strong and aggressive.I live in Spain now and one chap on the local shoot had four dogs killed in one go by a Boar.
Recently a Hunter was killed in Northern Spain by a Boar that he had shot and went to finish off with a knife it wasn't as badly injured as he thought and the Boar attacked him and severed an artery in his leg he telephoned for help but bled to death before anyone reached him !

F**k the dogs! Having been on the receiving end of irate sows twice and once with an unusually aggressive boar my concerns are definitely self preservation! I could see that all was not well with the boar, I purposely sent my 3 dogs off with the hope of distracting him, he took no notice of dogs and charged me!

Beating this season just gone a large boar was pushed out of cover, he charged the line, upended a beater and then proceeded to turn and attack said beater on the ground!

Of the male dogs that have been involved in boar attacks locally, quite a few have had to be castrated! These things know where to aim!

ATB

T

So as an unarmed dog walker, you personally would defend your dog (that started the contest) against a wild boar or two ?
I think you'd end up as a darwin award winner, but good luck anyway. Neil. :)

My dog is part of my family not just a tool to work for me and as such my first thoughts would be for the dog.
That may well change as the situation progressed but in the first instance it would be dog then myself and I am sure there are quite a few others of similar thoughts as myself so you can keep the Darwin Award for yourself, unless it is a nice big one made of gold, then I'll have two ;)
I have seen similar wounds as shown above and in each case it is where the hunter has been macho trying to finish off a wounded Boar with a knife - a bit like Rambo :)

Back