Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 29 Pigs in one night

29 Pigs in one night

G'day All,
    I was lucky enough to gain access to a few crops just a few kilometres from one of my main hunting properties and had the most productive night ever, 29 pigs between 9pm and 3am, next night I just concentrated on the larger ones and got 9. It feels really strange letting mobs of pigs walk past and not shoot them! All were taken using a Pulsar XD 50 thermal and Sako 243. First sweep with the thermal and I stopped counting at 70, I had never seen anything like it, needless to say I am going back in two weeks time to do it all again. Hope you enjoy the pics of two of the better ones.
    Jerry

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...pig-no-11.html
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...pig-no-10.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    G'day All,
    I was lucky enough to gain access to a few crops just a few kilometres from one of my main hunting properties and had the most productive night ever, 29 pigs between 9pm and 3am, next night I just concentrated on the larger ones and got 9. It feels really strange letting mobs of pigs walk past and not shoot them! All were taken using a Pulsar XD 50 thermal and Sako 243. First sweep with the thermal and I stopped counting at 70, I had never seen anything like it, needless to say I am going back in two weeks time to do it all again. Hope you enjoy the pics of two of the better ones.
    Jerry

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...pig-no-11.html
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...pig-no-10.html

Ripper..............................

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Well done, hopefully not gone to waste, lots of new friends that like 'Pork' !
    I bet half the folks on here don't believe you because you said you used a .243 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Well done, hopefully not gone to waste, lots of new friends that like 'Pork' !
    I bet half the folks on here don't believe you because you said you used a .243 !!!
    Unfortunately they did all go to waste, at least the crows won't starve!
    I've noticed that a lot larger calibres are used over there, but its understandable given the style of shooting. The 243 is quite standard here for pigs, I actually shoot most with my 222 under the spotlight, obviously all head shots.
    Happy hunting

Not trying to start an argument but why waste the meat in the UK that lot would be worth hundreds at the dealers

Quote Originally Posted by shakey jake View Post
    Not trying to start an argument but why waste the meat in the UK that lot would be worth hundreds at the dealers
    About 80% we sell to the "box" (game meat dealer) for the European market and can make good money out of it but on this occasion they were not buying because they had reached their quota, no surprise given the numbers around the place. I was still more than happy to shoot and leave in this instance as they were eating the farmers crop that he planned to bale for his winter feed. Hope this explains the situation.

About 80% we sell to the "box" (game meat dealer) for the European market and can make good money out of it but on this occasion they were not buying because they had reached their quota, no surprise given the numbers around the place. I was still more than happy to shoot and leave in this instance as they were eating the farmers crop that he planned to bale for his winter feed. Hope this explains the situation.
    Yep, crop protection, aka, vermin control !

Oh yeah not alot of point messing about if you can't shift them

You are both spot on. In the interest of building and maintaining relationships with local landholders I'm happy to shoot for them even when the box is shut. One thing that really annoys them is if you get too picky about what and when you shoot.

Unfortunately they did all go to waste, at least the crows won't starve!
    I've noticed that a lot larger calibres are used over there, but its understandable given the style of shooting. The 243 is quite standard here for pigs, I actually shoot most with my 222 under the spotlight, obviously all head shots.
    Happy hunting
    I'm starting to shoot a few with the 22 250 & all copper pills, but on bigger pigs (over 80kg) it still takes a couple. Most times I use a 270 or a 30 30 if its specifically for pigs. I don't spotlight them anymore on my own place, it just spreads them about as bad as the doggers do. I set up grain throwers & stroll down half an hour early every so often to shoot them. In the last few years I've found an even better way. I add about 10 kg of sugar to 60l of water & some bakers yeast & leave it to ferment for about a week. I then put it out in a trough near the water point the pigs are using & the next day they are so drunk & sleeping I can walk right up to them. I cant stand pigs, I don't even enjoy shooting them.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."