Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 Hornet of fox - practical range

17 Hornet of fox - practical range

How far would the 17 Hornet be useable on fox, from a foxbox. Have a 250m free shooting range, but want an as silent as possible round. Needs to be flat shooting as determine range is very hard some parts of the day.

Good report here of the Hornet which suggests 200yds as a practical maximum range. http://www.baconbusters.com.au/news/...-the-17-hornet. The 17 grainer shoots flat for the first 200m then starts dropping off rapidly due to very low BC. The 20gr holds up better. To 200yds, any CF would do the job you need. If you need to stretch the distance, I'd have thought that a .222, .223 or 22-250 would be the better option and less bucked by the wind at distance too. Personally, I wouldn't consider any 17 for longer distance work.
    Last edited by ChesterP; 11-04-2016 at 09:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    How far would the 17 Hornet be useable on fox, from a foxbox. Have a 250m free shooting range, but want an as silent as possible round. Needs to be flat shooting as determine range is very hard some parts of the day.
    don't see the point of 17s unless its a Rem or Fireball pushing 4000. thats when the BC becomes less relevant

My .222 is quieter than my WMR
    slower powder, decent mod

they sell the 17 hornet as comparable to the 223 shooting 55gr in terms of trajectory....its almost identical..but a hell of a lot less energy and much worse windage

I used to use 52gr amax in the .222, but now use 40gr SBK.
    1" high at 100 is a 210yd zero
    equates to a 1" drop at 225

Thanks.
    A friend told me that the Hornet with the proper tools could be very silent. As the 22 Hornet drops strongly after about 130/140m, I considered the 17 Hornet.

Thanks.
    A friend told me that the Hornet with the proper tools could be very silent. As the 22 Hornet drops strongly after about 130/140m, I considered the 17 Hornet.
    It is quiet, probably as quiet as a 17HMR with the right mod on it, but you still get a sharp supersonic crack so it's certainly not silent.

Get a .204 ruger you'll not regret it

Thanks.

i use my .22 hornet as my main foxing rifle and i was really suprised how flat it was yes ok its not a 4000fps laserbut its certainly a very useable tool out to 200yrds on foxes

Works fine. Pity no one else in the thread owns one. The VMAX bullets work well to that range. I'd steer clear of the Berger 20grain as they're more frangible. Personably, I prefer my 22-250 for foxes but the 17HH works well enough and a lot more effective than the 17HMR, also owned.

Just bought one to use for my foxing will let you know how I get on soon

Quote Originally Posted by huntwithhounds View Post
    Just bought one to use for my foxing will let you know how I get on soon
    Keep us updated on how you get on with it. I'm toying with getting one too.