READ THIS !!!!! no matter what your opinion is

jimmy milnes

I've just been informed that unless I actually register specifically to vote in the referendum I don't get to vote
Jimmy

And whoever told you it is one (or more) of the following :

1. Wrong
2. Stupid
3. Lying

If you are on the electoral register, you get to vote in the EU referendum.

Ive just reregistered just in case,and sent the toilet papers back for me and the rest of my extended family,

Why bother to vote, H.M. Govt. has already told us what we must think and do in that horrendously expensive leaflet that we have all just paid £ 9 million for?

Why bother to vote, H.M. Govt. has already told us what we must think and do in that horrendously expensive leaflet that we have all just paid £ 9 million for?

OK, I've stayed out of this particular angle of the discussion, but now I have to say that I don't really understand what the problem is with the government's leaflets. The Government's position is quite clearly and openly that the UK should remain in the EU. That's its' recommendation, that's how it would like us to vote, but in the end, it's down to us. They are not neutral on this matter, they think that this is the best outcome for the UK and the electorate, and it wants to explain why, but again, it's our choice. Doing things for our good is what the government is supposed to be for, so explaining why strikes me as perfectly legitimate. It's not stopping the other side from making their case. Why on earth would you expect them to promote a case that they oppose and neutralise their own efforts?

And to those who repeat ad nauseam "I want the FACTS!", well there are no facts about the future, only speculation, possibilities, informed guesswork. In the end, you have to take a chance.

I'm going to be ripped to shreds now, I realise....

OK, I've stayed out of this particular angle of the discussion, but now I have to say that I don't really understand what the problem is with the government's leaflets. The Government's position is quite clearly and openly that the UK should remain in the EU. That's its' recommendation, that's how it would like us to vote, but in the end, it's down to us. They are not neutral on this matter, they think that this is the best outcome for the UK and the electorate, and it wants to explain why, but again, it's our choice. Doing things for our good is what the government is supposed to be for, so explaining why strikes me as perfectly legitimate. It's not stopping the other side from making their case. Why on earth would you expect them to promote a case that they oppose and neutralise their own efforts?

And to those who repeat ad nauseam "I want the FACTS!", well there are no facts about the future, only speculation, possibilities, informed guesswork. In the end, you have to take a chance.

I'm going to be ripped to shreds now, I realise....

No your not - especially with regards to your comment about there being ' no facts only speculation....'

My only caveat being ... as there are no facts then there can only be 'opinion' - although Govs are supposed to govern in our interests they don't always do they - so spending our money on pushing a specific agenda (which is not necessarily in our interests) is a concern.

PS - sending you a PM on advise about buying in Germany

OK, The Government's position is quite clearly and openly that the UK should remain in the EU. QUOTE]

However, HM Govt. doesn't think that we should remain in the EU.

The PM does, as do some members of his party, as do some of The Opposition, as do some from all the parties... The remainder don't...

£9m of our money was spent on junk mail and mine has been sent back. I am perfectly capable of finding out for myself the pros and cons, and dare say that anyone else that is interested will go to the trouble as well. Those that aren't interested won't be reading the junk mail, so it was a pretty pointless and expensive exercise.

In addition, and I truly hope that this is incorrect, the junk mail was printed in Germany. GERMANY FFS! Now, I have nothing against the Germans and their ability to print junk mail en masse (or whatever the German translation is), but it is pretty crass to outsource the printing of this rather high profile piece of literature.

Perhaps I'm missing the point here. Cameron encouraged those in his party to have a free opinion on the matter, which was as it should be. However to spend 9 million of our money on promoting one side of the argument seems to me to be wrong.
If he wants to be seen to be fair and democratic on the matter then the out faction should have equal opportunities to put their side of the argument.
However the whole exercise seems to be a horrendous waste of money

I think the problem here is simply that the British taxpayer, whether he or she be for or against leaving the EU or indeed doesn't give a fig, through their taxes is having to pay for this leaflet drop to the tune of £9,000,00! It would be fairer if the out campaign were given the same amount of money too, but frankly, I don't want my money spent on advertising for either side!

As for the question itself, of course I agree that the fortunes of GB can only be speculation, whether in or out. I would sooner place my vote on more long term issues, such as does GB want their future tied to the EU and do we want our laws made by them over there or us over here.

The UK's EU referendum: All you need to know - BBC News
The UK's EU referendum: All you need to know - BBC News

Must of read it wrong then ''second sentence of how will you vote ''

Yes. Your point being ?

That states :
It will be a similar system to that during other elections. Firstly, if you have registered to vote, you'll be sent a card telling you when voting takes place and where you should go to vote on 23 June. On that day, when you go to the polling station you will be given a piece of paper with the referendum question on it. You then go to a booth, which will have a pencil in it for your use. You then put a X in the box which reflects your choice and put the paper into a ballot box. Alternatively you will also be able to opt to vote by post.

Which is EXACTLY what happens with the general election, local elections, european elections, last year's Scottish referendum (for those in Scotland), this year's Wales assembly election, the Mayoral election in london, etc, etc, etc.
If you are already on the electoral register, you WILL be sent voting papers and will get to vote.
Your original post claims differently : that you must register SPECIFICALLY to vote in the referendum to be able to vote.

Which is, as I stated already, a lie, wrong, or willfully stupid.
Read the paragraph above the one you referred to as well.
The paragraph on the BBC's website is poorly worded. But the intent is clear. Unless, of course, you're part of the tinfoil-hatted conspiracy theory brigade.
If the BBCs paragraph said "If you ARE registered to vote", rather than "If you HAVE registered to vote", it would be more accurate. But your assertion is, frankly, ridiculous.

I am more worried about the mentality of people who are prepared to commission a document for £9m knowing its funded from the money people earn and pay tax for. £9m is a hell of a lot of peoples tax carelessly cast upon the waters of opinion. If every penny spent were justified carefully it would explain why we pay tax in such copious quantities and justify that expenditure. Governments spend money far too casually for my liking - shame you cant opt out on the face of profligacy.

I am more worried about the mentality of people who are prepared to commission a document for £9m knowing its funded from the money people earn and pay tax for. £9m is a hell of a lot of peoples tax carelessly cast upon the waters of opinion. If every penny spent were justified carefully it would explain why we pay tax in such copious quantities and justify that expenditure. Governments spend money far too casually for my liking - shame you cant opt out on the face of profligacy.
its more than nine million thats just for the paper stuff,the electronic stuffs extra,whether its warranted or not in or out,this is still a nonsensical waste of time and resources to be thrown in everyones bin along with the other drivel,

Yes. Your point being ?

That states :
It will be a similar system to that during other elections. Firstly, if you have registered to vote, you'll be sent a card telling you when voting takes place and where you should go to vote on 23 June. On that day, when you go to the polling station you will be given a piece of paper with the referendum question on it. You then go to a booth, which will have a pencil in it for your use. You then put a X in the box which reflects your choice and put the paper into a ballot box. Alternatively you will also be able to opt to vote by post.

Which is EXACTLY what happens with the general election, local elections, european elections, last year's Scottish referendum (for those in Scotland), this year's Wales assembly election, the Mayoral election in london, etc, etc, etc.
If you are already on the electoral register, you WILL be sent voting papers and will get to vote.
Your original post claims differently : that you must register SPECIFICALLY to vote in the referendum to be able to vote.

Which is, as I stated already, a lie, wrong, or willfully stupid.
Read the paragraph above the one you referred to as well.
The paragraph on the BBC's website is poorly worded. But the intent is clear. Unless, of course, you're part of the tinfoil-hatted conspiracy theory brigade.
If the BBCs paragraph said "If you ARE registered to vote", rather than "If you HAVE registered to vote", it would be more accurate. But your assertion is, frankly, ridiculous.

I think his point was an admission that he'd misread the sentence

The stay in campaign is full of conjecture about what might or might not happen if we leave the EU , what they have totally failed to do is bring to my attention anything from which I have personally benefitted since we joined.

atb Tim

what they have totally failed to do is bring to my attention anything from which I have personally benefitted since we joined.

atb Tim

The thing is, it's not just about you is it? Not anymore than the UK general election is. I'll let someone else answer "The aqueducts, the roads, etc".

£9m of our money was spent on junk mail and mine has been sent back.

Ditto. I gave a couple of milliseconds thought to coming up with something pithy and withering to write on the envelope, but boiled an egg instead.

As can be seen from his tax returns, Cameron - unlike his Old Dad - isn't much of a businessman (v. slim pickings for the 'outraged' brigade), so I suspect that a cushy EU salary / options / pension deal awaits ... sooner rather than later should he face and lose the threatened vote of no confidence he so thoroughly deserves.

How come no-one's baying for Blair to open up his tax return?

I'll bet all his earnings from overseas speaking are wafting through Geneva/Cyprus/Grand Cayman...

I too bet blair has some skeletons in his closet, bet he is so glad no longer an MP .

It also turns out according to 1 tabloid that Corbyn has made a mistake with his tax return and forgot to mention some money to HMRC he has declared elsewhere. Whoops.

Back