Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnetospeed Sportster

Magnetospeed Sportster

Anybody with experience of the above please, thinking about buying

Norman

I have one, it's brilliant. Magneto's are by far the best chrono available, no probs and work every time. The only annoying thing about the sporter is the silly box it comes with.

If speed is your only goal you can play with a ballistic app, plugging in your 200 yard drop from your 100 yard zero, and come pretty close to your actual velocity. With a stand-alone Chrono unit(s) you can do interesting things like determine actual ballistic coefficient of the bullets you shoot in your environment. With Magneto speed units all you can do is measure velocity. ~Muir

Excellent bit of kit and an invaluable component in the reloading process. Agree about the box. The best thing about it is that, if set up properly, you cannot shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    If speed is your only goal you can play with a ballistic app, plugging in your 200 yard drop from your 100 yard zero, and come pretty close to your actual velocity. With a stand-alone Chrono unit(s) you can do interesting things like determine actual ballistic coefficient of the bullets you shoot in your environment. With Magneto speed units all you can do is measure velocity. ~Muir
    Primary need is just to measure muzzle velocity as, in order to comply with the Range Certificate at my home club, I have to ensure that the muzzle velocity must be no more than 2150 fps and muzzle energy 1496 ft/lbs. I can use the club chrono but that is a PITA as we use timed details so if any form of intervention is needed eg the display being difficult to read in sunlight or a re-set needed a wait of up to 15 mins is required. I think the convenience of the Magnetospeed would be great.

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by nfarmer View Post
    Primary need is just to measure muzzle velocity as, in order to comply with the Range Certificate at my home club, I have to ensure that the muzzle velocity must be no more than 2150 fps and muzzle energy 1496 ft/lbs. I can use the club chrono but that is a PITA as we use timed details so if any form of intervention is needed eg the display being difficult to read in sunlight or a re-set needed a wait of up to 15 mins is required. I think the convenience of the Magnetospeed would be great.

Norman
    They are great for measuring speed. I have heard of people having a fuss trying to zero while chrongraphing with the MS, but the chrono function has never been an issue. I am just saying that for that convenience of strapping it onto the barrel you lose one access to one of the best and most useful functions of a chronograph.~Muir

I think the magneto speed would be great asset. I believe that I wouldn't have wait for a clear day to use it and if that's the case I will be ordering one this week

How did you get on with the MagnetoSpeed Sportster? I am tempted to order one. Am I right in thinking that it can't be used with a moderator fitted, though?

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    How did you get on with the MagnetoSpeed Sportster? I am tempted to order one. Am I right in thinking that it can't be used with a moderator fitted, though?
    worked fine on mine with mod fitted, couldn't find a way to fit it to my K31 though, the stacking rod gets in the way.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."