Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black foxes

Black foxes

Last week we took a very large dog fox, & I mean large, I can't remember the last time we had one this size & weight, he was obviously the main chap round these parts, & strangely he was covered in black guard hairs, & from around 50 yds the farmer was seeing a black fox!, then a couple nights later I got him , just under the ear, this was followed by one of those nature programs on telly, talking about black fox. Spooky!, the farmer's better half has told us he has already been replaced, so will visit with Potman & his young nephew tonight.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Cool

Hey Finnbear,

I don't do much fox shooting but take a look at this one:-

talk about colour variation from silver to black. Quite a big un as well. The rifle is the BSA Model E in 303 and the fox didn't like the 180 grn Winchester SP was after Fallow at the time.

Kev, as your photo is in daylight it gives a better idea of what I was describing, the brush on yours has those black guard hairs that cannot be seen in my night pic, but that brush is exactly what colour "all over" mine was, as always , your rifle/s are minters!, Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Steve, I shot a very similar one here a couple of weeks ago. No photo's, but again the silver under fur with a lot of black and ginger guard fur. I spotted him out the bedroom window at about 6.30am on a Sunday morning. I had a good idea where he was headed. Went out on the Monday night at around 9.00pm, called for five minutes. He walked out of the wood and I nutted him. Back in the house in under 15 minutes.

I have seen/shot quite a few in similar colour around here over the past two or three years. Four or five years back we shot a lot of pale ginger almost blonde foxes. I think maybe a dominate dog comes in and spreads his genes for a year or two, then gets shot or driven off and replaced and the genes change in an area.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 05-06-2010 at 11:09.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Kev, as your photo is in daylight it gives a better idea of what I was describing, the brush on yours has those black guard hairs that cannot be seen in my night pic, but that brush is exactly what colour "all over" mine was, as always , your rifle/s are minters!, Steve.
    Steve,

Sadly it's no where near mint. The second one that I ever saw and it was for sale but at a daft price like everything I have seen at Fenland Rural Sports actually had better blueing on it than mine does. Never know one day I might break down and have it re-blued.

Hmmm I really wonder how the guy at Fenland stays open he is way overprice and his attitude stinks .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hey Finnbear,

I don't do much fox shooting but take a look at this one:-

talk about colour variation from silver to black. Quite a big un as well. The rifle is the BSA Model E in 303 and the fox didn't like the 180 grn Winchester SP was after Fallow at the time.
    now thats what i like to see!! a stalker with a fine rifle that fits them well,looks good! and can shoot it!! well done that man.

Ahhh actually it was a bit of an easy shot seeing as how I was sat in a high seat and the fox was only 60 yards away. Here's what that photo didn't show:-

As I squeezed the trigger the fox turned his head so the bullet went through the ear. Noticed the damage the 180 Grn SP Winchester factory bullet did ...................... Oh and that's the entrance wound .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ahhh actually it was a bit of an easy shot seeing as how I was sat in a high seat and the fox was only 60 yards away. Here's what that photo didn't show:-

As I squeezed the trigger the fox turned his head so the bullet went through the ear. Noticed the damage the 180 Grn SP Winchester factory bullet did ...................... Oh and that's the entrance wound .
    i bet the sound of that 180 grn was ear piercing!!!!!

has any 1 seen the black fox in the back of sporting rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by steyr View Post
    i bet the sound of that 180 grn was ear piercing!!!!!
    :- Groan!!!!!!