Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural progression

Natural progression

From being a young lad with a gat gun to the air rifle. I have steadily moved up the ladder. I took a few years out from shooting but it's now firmly got a grip.
    I have a FAC Air rifle. .25 49fpe .17hmr. New to me. What would you say is the next step up the ladder? I have a couple of permissions. One where Fox are a problem. Lambing at the mo and there causing trouble. I live in north wales and been told off the Local Firearms Officer that shooting Fox with the hmr is the quickest way to loose my ticket.
    I am trying to research different calibre's but it's a mine field. .222 .223 22.250. Hornets, Mach 2s .... The list goes on.
    What did you jump to from the .17 hmr? Or did you skip that?

Cheers

went for 22lr for vermin and 22/250 for Fox's on my first foray into rifles some years ago I've managed to skip the hole .17 thing quite successfully .I've added a few deer cals along the way since then .small and fast didn't always win the race where as big and slow gets the job done well you just have to be patient like a millisecond
    calibres have trends like everything else
    Norma

I had fac air and hmr I then got a .204 ruger for foxing and .243 for deer I now have .270 and 7mmrm it's a big ladder if I were you I'd ask for any 20 cal or .223 etc for foxing or bypass that and get a .243 you can't beat it

Seeing as you are on the SD, my guess would be that you might like to progress on to deer one day? If so, you could d a lot worse than get a .243 with a light load for foxes with a view to using it for deer eventually? Just a thought?
    MS

Yes. The idea is to do my apprenticeship so to speak and move to some Deer Stalking. I have opportunities to move to that rung but not looking to jump to quickly. Rabbits at the moment are my main quarry. I still like the FAC Air for squirrels etc.
    There seem to be a lot of options. But don't want to be trading rifles left right and centre. Towards the end of the year I will be looking for a CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Seeing as you are on the SD, my guess would be that you might like to progress on to deer one day? If so, you could d a lot worse than get a .243 with a light load for foxes with a view to using it for deer eventually? Just a thought?
    MS

Wise words from MS so +1 for your situation. Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILAIRE View Post
    Wise words from MS so +1 for your situation. Chris.
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by TA6319 View Post
    +2

+3

When I applied for my FAC late last year, one of my main aims was to minimise the number of rifles I was applying for. There is no single rifle that will do it all, so I finally went for .22lr and .243. This suits me well for anything from rats at my stables permission, up to deer when I have done my DSC (early June) and finally start booking some stalking; and everything in between.
    The .243 is fox and deer. The .22lr is anything up to close range fox. I have enjoyed using the .22lr so much, I have just sold my 12fpe pcp air rifle. I have a BSA springer for the rats, but it is going to get very little use; as long as there is a suitable backstop the .22lr is first choice every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknsilver View Post
    Yes. The idea is to do my apprenticeship so to speak and move to some Deer Stalking. I have opportunities to move to that rung but not looking to jump to quickly. Rabbits at the moment are my main quarry. I still like the FAC Air for squirrels etc.
    There seem to be a lot of options. But don't want to be trading rifles left right and centre. Towards the end of the year I will be looking for a CF.
    As others have said you could do worse than .243 its as good all rounder,just as good as a 22 cf for foxing when loaded with a light bullet and capable for deer with a suitable load.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 14-04-2016 at 21:49.