Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laminate rifle stock care

Laminate rifle stock care

Good morning ladies and gents,

I have a Sako 85 Laminate stainless and today I am taking the stock off to adjust the trigger. So I thought while I am at it I will give the action a good wipe down, also I would like to "do" the laminate stock. I have some Walnut oil handy just wondering if this will be fine to use or if anyone can recommend anything better?!

Thanks in advance

Chris

Thought the idea of the laminate was to be care free?

Chance are it is sealed with a synthetic varnish like sealer so the Walnut oil cannot be absorbed and will just sit on the surface. Hopefully some one who knows more about these laminates will cme along and tell us.

I had this conversation with a few shooters over the weekend. I have the same rifle and it has got a couple of marks on it. I thought that it might be some kind of varnish that i could rub down and then oil but none of us were really sure.

Will follow this thread with interest.

Has anyone thought of sending an e-mail to Sako to ask about stock care?

It seems the logical thing to do ............................................. well to me anyway.

Could do that.

Or you could ask the question on a forum full of owners, users and maintainers that will get you a variety of answers in about ten minutes. Plus its more fun.

Most laminates are finished with a satin spray-applied PU finish which is one of the most durable finishes hence why it is used. I'd caution against rubbing down and oiling since most oils will need frequent re-application to prevent water damage. There are some oils with resins that can be used but why bother if the standard finish does the job? I used Mr Sheen on my PU coated Laminate stocks once in a while. Now discovered Renaissance Wax (google is your friend) which also does an excellent job on just about any finish and is great at preventing aid finger marks from imprinting on barrels and actions. A small tub goes a long way. You can use this stuff on almost any hard material or finish. Possibly the best there is but pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesterP View Post
    Most laminates are finished with a satin spray-applied PU finish which is one of the most durable finishes hence why it is used. I'd caution against rubbing down and oiling since most oils will need frequent re-application to prevent water damage. There are some oils with resins that can be used but why bother if the standard finish does the job? I used Mr Sheen on my PU coated Laminate stocks once in a while. Now discovered Renaissance Wax (google is your friend) which also does an excellent job on just about any finish and is great at preventing aid finger marks from imprinting on barrels and actions. A small tub goes a long way. You can use this stuff on almost any hard material or finish. Possibly the best there is but pricey.
    Fantastic stuff Renaissance Wax; use for coating the underside of barrelled actions before the stock goes back on.

The laminate is sealed with some kind of varnish so unless you sand it off you not get anything into the wood.
    I've the 85 stainless laminate with the varmint barrel and to tell you the truth I regret my choice. Mine is knocked to bits off high seats and the like. I think the varnish they use is very brittle and easily chipped. I should of gone synthetic..
    cjs

Quote Originally Posted by cjs66 View Post
    The laminate is sealed with some kind of varnish so unless you sand it off you not get anything into the wood.
    I've the 85 stainless laminate with the varmint barrel and to tell you the truth I regret my choice. Mine is knocked to bits off high seats and the like. I think the varnish they use is very brittle and easily chipped. I should of gone synthetic..
    cjs
    Don't think Sako do a synthetic stock with a varmint barrel

you wont want anything to soak in as it will affect the lamination,IMHO thats why i wouldnt get one ,allways have the feeling that somethings getting under the barrel,?
    DONT START