Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Used Ride on Mower advice please

Used Ride on Mower advice please

I need a ride on mower for an acre paddock. My mate (no expert) tells me I should be able to pick up a reasonable second hand one for 500.

I am looking on fleaBay. I have no knowledge or experience.

Any dos and donts will be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothunter View Post
    I need a ride on mower for an acre paddock. My mate (no expert) tells me I should be able to pick up a reasonable second hand one for 500.

I am looking on fleaBay. I have no knowledge or experience.

Any dos and donts will be much appreciated.
    Can`t help you with the mower but I think I would be taking my 500 to somewhere more reputable than ebay.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Get a couple of sheep or goats on there from preeloved , when they are too old you can curry them

You should just about be able to find something around 16hp 42" deck for your budget. When buying used I always judge the people not the item so do send messages, ask questions and try and ring and view before purchase. Do research each model you are interested in. My preference, as with cars, is to try and get older models that were leading edge in quality in their day but do not have much in the way of electronics and fancy displays to go wrong. Having been supporting Briggs and Stratton engines for several friends including professional gardeners I do find them the easiest to source parts for and fix when needed.

As with all engines do remember to check the obvious, oil colour and smell, exhaust, cleanliness of the air filter, ease of starting, pick up of engine when applying throttle. Make sure that you can get the blade off (take a socket set with you) and check wear and balance. Also important is the drive system, try and find a slope and make sure that the drive system does not slip when going up it. Check that the blade stops when you tell it to! Check that the brake works. The other things that tend to go are the wheel bearings so make sure that you do not have any major wobbles - quite common to have minor ones from where folk have bashed into things.

Hopefully others can fill in the gaps that I have missed.

Best of luck.

If what you are mowing is just a rough paddock, don't get a mower with a grass collecting box, get a mulching mower. This is one that recirculates the grass cuttings within the cutting deck, chops them up finely and spits them back out. Unless it is a fine lawn, grass boxes become a pain. They fill quickly and so have to be emptied frequently which is time consuming, and creates a huge pile of cuttings.

As advised above, go for an older higher quality machine without too many bells and whistles to go wrong. I have an older John Deere that is robust, simple and easy to maintain and also has extensive online spares backup. It's an LT166, 42" deck and 16HP engine. If you come across one it will be worth a good look. There are a lot of lightweight machines around that will be OK for a large garden but will struggle with an acre, and an older one, particularly if it's a garden centre own brand or some obscure make may be difficult to support even with simple things like drive belts and blades.

Check with your local dealerships for trade ins, you might find something decent with a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapinschaw View Post
    If what you are mowing is just a rough paddock, don't get a mower with a grass collecting box, get a mulching mower. This is one that recirculates the grass cuttings within the cutting deck, chops them up finely and spits them back out. Unless it is a fine lawn, grass boxes become a pain. They fill quickly and so have to be emptied frequently which is time consuming, and creates a huge pile of cuttings.

As advised above, go for an older higher quality machine without too many bells and whistles to go wrong. I have an older John Deere that is robust, simple and easy to maintain and also has extensive online spares backup. It's an LT166, 42" deck and 16HP engine. If you come across one it will be worth a good look. There are a lot of lightweight machines around that will be OK for a large garden but will struggle with an acre, and an older one, particularly if it's a garden centre own brand or some obscure make may be difficult to support even with simple things like drive belts and blades.

Check with your local dealerships for trade ins, you might find something decent with a warranty.

Last time I purchased a ride on mower I was given some good advice from the sales rep. If you have dogs/children who will be regularly on the grass area don't get a mulching mower because the fine grass cuttings will be transported by dogs/children into your house on a regular basis; leading to a very grumpy wife !!

If it helps I have a Husqvarna 174 ride on, and I wouldn't buy again. I would be looking at the John deere mowers.

Wapinschaw makes a good point - I have bought all but one of my ride-ons from various local dealerships at very reasonable prices. I only buy Westwood, as I am familiar with them and what to do when something goes wrong. Classic problems are main deck drive belt - renew every couple of years. If you use a grass collector, regularly lubricate the belt rollers in the pick -up or they will go dry and burn the belts. A new set of blades wont break the bank and can be resharpened easily - up to a point. In my view the best ride-ons are westwood and its sister company, and husqvarna. For your 500 you should be lucky and get a mower which will last a number of years. My last one cost 1000 and lasted fro 15 years until I sold it for 150.
    By a hydro not a manual - gearboxes cost the earth. Oh, yes, fit a cupholder for the can when doing lawns on a sunny friday evening !

A lot will depend on how rough/uneven the paddock is. We broke the main frame of a Westwood Gazzelle 36" twin cut mower as our field was just left to regenerate. The farmer was supposed to power harrow and level but never came back to do so. In the end we bought a proper mini tractor with a 1 metre topper.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    A lot will depend on how rough/uneven the paddock is. We broke the main frame of a Westwood Gazzelle 36" twin cut mower as our field was just left to regenerate. The farmer was supposed to power harrow and level but never came back to do so. In the end we bought a proper mini tractor with a 1 metre topper.
    Think Big.

I would definitely go with something like that rather than a ride on lawn mower.

I have a little red Fergy 35 and paddock mower. Although to buy now you would be looking at 2 or 3K I paid less than half that 15 years ago and would be able to get between 2 and 3K now.

Apart from the financial advantage of a classic tractor... a bigger machine is idling on an acre, and with a 72" deck you will be done much faster every time you use it.

The only other approach I would consider is a quad bike and tow along mower/flail/topper...as a stalker you might find a use for a quad bike and be grateful for the excuse to buy one. Just try and recover a carcass on a ride on mower...

Alan

buy a scag,and get fit at the same time,
    DONT START