Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridge advise

Fridge advise

As a recreational stalker I probably take on average 1-2 roe per month when going is good. I've just bought a Gram commercial upright fridge (eBay bargain) that will fit 2 roe or a good fallow / Sika. As it may spend a few weeks at a time empty I'm just wondering if left switched off would it cause any harm to the fridge?
    Plan is only to fire it up when I have something to hang in it and turn it off and clean when my butchery is complete.
    ILB

I fire mine up in anticipation the day before then turn it off when I'm finished or return empty handed!

I only ever fire mine up once a deer is shot..... its down to temperature within 5 minutes. Otherwise it costs about 1 a day to keep it running, whats the point?
    All I make sure I do it prop the door slightly open when not in use to allow air to circulate so it doesn't go stale inside.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I only ever fire mine up once a deer is shot..... its down to temperature within 5 minutes. Otherwise it costs about 1 a day to keep it running, whats the point?
    All I make sure I do it prop the door slightly open when not in use to allow air to circulate so it doesn't go stale inside.
    What he said, or for a more informed reply ask Keith aka Sikadog on here,Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks for the advise. It was just someone said if the fridge kept getting turned off for periods of time it could cause an airlock in the system and stop working?
    Something I hadn't heard off but thought I'd ask.
    ILB

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I leave mine on permanently
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

No problem to turn off there is no air in a refrigeration system to get air lock. I would just turn it on now and again to make sure it's working rather than find it not working when you need it the most

My fridge repair man told me to leave it switched on as the compressor can seize if left off. I found out the hard way.

Compressors seize through lack of oil resulting in mechanical failure. Turning off should be fine.

I leave mine on permanently, it probably only gets a deer once every month or 2 and a load of pigeons/rabbits maybe every week.

My whole electricity bill last year was about 400, which is for 3 freezers, 2 fridges plus everything else in the house, so I seriously doubt it costs more than a few pence a day to run the fridge.