Training New Pup - Gundog

Legolas

I'm picking up a new pup next week, she's a working cocker from pretty good working lines - far better than I actually need or was looking. I want to do her justice but dont have a great deal of experience. I have an 11 year old springer who is mainly a family pet who accompanies me on my shooting forays, he brings back most things I shoot and is a great dog, but, I'd like to do some more detailed work with the youngster.

Could you reccomend any decent books/dvd's that would help get me started.

Many Thanks

jonty

Jonty,

The Cocker Man by Hedley Millington is worth a read, it took me a good while to get hold of a copy.

ATB 243 Stalker.

Last edited:
I'd strongly reccommend joining a decent local gundog training group or gettig some lessons of a local decent trainer. Well worth it in long run to be shown the easy ways.
Davy lissets dvd is excellent, but sure plenty of other deent training dvd's out there too.
or books by Joe irving, althou i sometimes found joes books to not be as well written as others, but nothing wrong with the content.

If ur only wanting a decent shooting dog and no intention of FT i'd train it to walk to heel very early but that is not always the done thing with spaniel trainers. But having a dog that walks to heel on/off lead makes ur life a lot easier

Agree with everything that countrryboy says. Spaniels are not easy but a good one is great fun as is training them. Don't ruin it by thinking that reading a book is sufficient because it isn't. Lessons with a professional trainer or a club are well worth the money and effort IMO

Thanks for the book reccomend actions gents. Country boy, I fully agree, having a dog that walks to heel makes the 10-15 years you have them a whole load easier.

Used it for my Springer and she's mint, only use her for a bit of rough shooting but hardly need a lead on her except when near roads, just for my own peace of mind.

Make training fun ,and never bore it mate.5mins a day on what I call a training walk.if u want ur spaniel to hunt then I wouldn't advise walking it to heel till u hv it hunting and retrieving well.good luck and don't rush it.

I'm picking up a new pup next week, she's a working cocker from pretty good working lines - far better than I actually need or was looking. I want to do her justice but dont have a great deal of experience. I have an 11 year old springer who is mainly a family pet who accompanies me on my shooting forays, he brings back most things I shoot and is a great dog, but, I'd like to do some more detailed work with the youngster.

Could you reccomend any decent books/dvd's that would help get me started.

Many Thanks

jonty

Paul French Video. Hawcroft gundogs. Very good DVD set by Simon tyres, taking you through all elements of training a cocker pup right through to experienced.

George.

Back