Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving South

Question Moving South

Evening all,

it looks as if I shall be moving south from the Scottish Highlands back to either Hampshire or Dorset. I have co-terminous FAC and SGC issued within the past 6 months by Polis Scotland.
    My FAC specifies the following....
    .22 semi-auto
    .303 bolt action
    .243 bolt action + moderator
    .357 lever action
    .44 black powder revolver pistol
    all for target, zeroing, pest control & stalking on any ground where I have permission (they're a pretty easy-going lot up here, the boys & girls in blue)

my question is, when I have moved before it has always been within the old Northern Constabulary area (pre the unification of the Scottish rozzers) and all that was required was a quick check to see if my security was up to scratch.
    Does anyone have any experience of what I can expect when moving to an area covered by a different force? Will I need to justify each calibre again? Or will it be a similar check on security with a full examination upon expiry of my current certificates.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Simon

You are only obliged by law to inform your current licensing office of any change in permanent address and no more.
    Your certificates have 4 1/2 years to run and are valid for that time from the licensing office that issued them no matter where you live
    You might be contacted by your new area FEO for a check on security but thats all it should be as you have satisfied your previous issuing area of your fitness to hold a FAC/SGC
    They might ask you to surrender your certificates for address change but you dont need to untill they expire, doind so may result in your new issuing office imposing their own conditions, which may not be as comprehensive as you have now.

Ian.

Thanks Ian....very helpful answer

Simon

Ian has basically covered it. Make sure you have your security in place before moving to your new home. Inform your present constabulary you are moving with the new address before you move, and inform your new constabulary also a few days before you move. They will send an FEO around to check your cabinet etc. They will take away your current certificate to change the address, but that's all nothing else until your renewal when they will want to see that you have a place to use the weapons.

Good luck with the move.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Ian has basically covered it. Make sure you have your security in place before moving to your new home. Inform your present constabulary you are moving with the new address before you move, and inform your new constabulary also a few days before you move. They will send an FEO around to check your cabinet etc. They will take away your current certificate to change the address, but that's all nothing else until your renewal when they will want to see that you have a place to use the weapons.

Good luck with the move.
    I cant agree fully with your last post sikamalc informing his new constabulary is not necessary his current licensing office will do that, and he should not give up his current FAC untill its expirey date, the OPs new licensing authority has no right to ask for it, and also no need, his new address will be on his file.

Ian.

I have just moved in the last couple of weeks from Gloucester to Suffolk. I emailed the Gloucester firearms department giving them my new details etc. I received my new Suffolk FAC and SGC after a few days with a note to inform Suffolk of my cabinet location and capacity.

Job on done as far as I am concerned.

They have eave asked for my Gloucester FAC to be sent to them for destruction

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Slam View Post
    I have just moved in the last couple of weeks from Gloucester to Suffolk. I emailed the Gloucester firearms department giving them my new details etc. I received my new Suffolk FAC and SGC after a few days with a note to inform Suffolk of my cabinet location and capacity.

Job on done as far as I am concerned.

They have eave asked for my Gloucester FAC to be sent to them for destruction
    Your FAC is valid nationally not just the county it was issued in and so are your conditions, Suffolk have no legal right to ask you to surrender your Gloucestershire issued FAC for destruction regardless of the fact that they have issued you with a new one with your new address.
    If they tell you that your Gloucester FAC is no longer valid, this is incorrect, it is valid until its expiry date unless it is officially revoked.

Ian.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 16-04-2016 at 22:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Your FAC is valid nationally not just the county it was issued in and so are your conditions, Suffolk have no legal right to ask you to surrender your Gloucestershire issued FAC for destruction regardless of the fact that they have issued you with a new one with your new address.
    If they tell you that your Gloucester FAC is no longer valid, this is incorrect, it is valid until its expiry date unless it is officially revoked.

Ian.
    They haven't told me that it is no longer valid but it kind of makes sense. I have no need to hold 2 separate FAC's so why not send the old one back.

Despite the obligation of your force letting Dorset know it doesn't hurt to give a courtesy call and start off on the right foot.

Dorset are a great bunch and have looked after me well for the last 34 yrs..

You won't need to send or do anything with your Fac as at the same time your security is checked they put a sticker with your new address on your Fac.

I've moved 4 times in last 5 years within Dorset and never had any issues.

Best of luck
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I cant agree fully with your last post sikamalc informing his new constabulary is not necessary his current licensing office will do that, and he should not give up his current FAC untill its expirey date, the OPs new licensing authority has no right to ask for it, and also no need, his new address will be on his file.

Ian.
    Well I moved home after 30+ years at the same address just over 4 years ago, and they asked for my certificate to change the address. It might be that your constabulary have a different criteria, but as each constabulary seems to make their own rules up as they go along I would cover all angles to keep everyone informed then there can be no issues raised.

Better to keep everyone informed it cant do any harm, can it.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.