Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended .223 ammo for Muntjac

Recommended .223 ammo for Muntjac

Hi, before I start this post is not intended to fire up the hot debate of .223 suitability for small game! So please don't hijack it.

What I'm after is some advice from someone who actually hunts Muntjac and CWD with .223.
    What ammo do you use, the plus points and the minus points.
    My reasons for stalking are to harvest the meat so turning the beast inside out with a 80gr Amax is not an option.

Ill be be using a Sako 85 .223 with the 1/8 twist varmint barrel. I can reload my own so I'm not bound to factory ammo.

Any advice from someone with some real live experience would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you're used the Sierra 65gr GK's 1455

Thanks

I have shot Roe with 55grn Sierra SP - 27gn Varget- Remington 71/2 Primer accurate and drop dead shots both heart/lung and head. Same load with 55grn Vmax did the same job. never a problem with excess damage and even more accurate.

Having been at the muntjac courtesy of a friend I would use the same cartridge with confidence.

Established Poster
    If your rifle likes it, then I'd see no reason not to use the PPU 55gr SP.

Hi,

I have a sako 85 varmint in 223 and I use Sako 55gr gameheads on Muntjac & CWD with great results.

regards Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Nod-1 View Post
    Hi,

I have a sako 85 varmint in 223 and I use Sako 55gr gameheads on Muntjac & CWD with great results.

regards Neil.
    As do I with a .222.

I have used 70g Barns TSX with good effect in the past.

a .222 and on roe but..

I chose to go with the most energy possible
    60gr hornady soft points give more energy downrange than all but the hottest 50 and 55gr

they work well
    I also have some 53gr barnes copper to try next week

you should have no problem shooting heavier so I would personally go with the heaviest possible

with a 1:8 twist you could load up a 75 gn soft point/ Vmax, doesn't matter if you mess the head up, probably need to load to max permitted, and head /neck shot should be fine. You are probably aware a 223 on deer may give you some criticism. I knew a keeper who used a 22-250 on everything, and only took head/neck on deer, they always fell over but he had been doing it for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by plumber01 View Post
    with a 1:8 twist you could load up a 75 gn soft point/ Vmax, doesn't matter if you mess the head up, probably need to load to max permitted, and head /neck shot should be fine. You are probably aware a 223 on deer may give you some criticism. I knew a keeper who used a 22-250 on everything, and only took head/neck on deer, they always fell over but he had been doing it for many years.

only by people who have never used one on deer
    Muntjac are not bullet proof and a hell of a lot smaller than roe

I disagree with advice recommending a bullet that limits shot placement to head and neck.
    Use a proper bullet that allows all shot options.
    Soft points and controlled expansion bullets work just as well in the head and neck too...but critically they work when shot quartering through the shoulder

Thanks for the replys guys. The 55gr Sierra game heads seem to be a favourite and with many reports of good results. I guess if it keeps the majority of its weight traveling at >3000 it makes perfect sense.