Garage Floor Covering?

karlbird

I have a carpet in mt garage currently (it was a show home office) and I butcher up my deer in there on a stainless table and also have my chiller.

I want to tear up the carpet and paint the (assume) bear concrete underneath.

Anyone please recommend me a decent paint or similar thing to do this with?

Thanks.

I used ES 600 DPM. It costs about £60 and does 25m2 although it says it only does 16m2. It dries super fast and goes on with a simple roller as it is. No need for mixing. Just hoover the floor and apply in a certain direction. Then let it dry, apply a 2nd coat in a different (i.e. horizontal) direction.

You do need to let your floor dry out once the carpet is tore up though so the length of time depends on how wet the floor is. Open windows are the best (I have been told by my carpet fitter mate with 20 yrs experience) than radiators or space heaters.

When you apply the 2nd coat of DPM and it dries you may see blotches of blue, like a gas blue colour. THis is the DPM actually drawing moisture out of your floor but protecting the damp from further coming through. So no need to worry. I was told to use a PVA solution to protect the floor but I tell you what, the DPM stuff is absolutely class. I know it is a damp proofer but when it binds to concrete nothing can remove it. I always think of it as the closest thing to concrete nano-technology!

I used ronseal garage floor sealer then the associated paint. Utter rubbish! It lasted about 3 months of low traffic before it started peeling. Go for something epoxy based and spend a bit more,it will be worth it in the long run.

If it's to get it cleared by the council talk to them first, it might be an unnecessary expense, if just for you won use and you want to spend some money then follow the advice in post 2, i did post 3, and agree, waste of time, plus in my case the council said it wasn't necessary.
Cheers
Richard

My mother's garage floor was just good quality poured concrete. I've just had outhouse and coal house done. They finished with a film of water applied with a flat. Two three days to dry, absolutely smooth.

If I had to "seal" it I'd use the red commercial stuff used for garages. My local indoor range has grey similar. Still good after twenty years. As said you get what you pay for. B & Q or Homebase stuff isn't that quality.

I used ES 600 DPM. It costs about £60 and does 25m2 although it says it only does 16m2. It dries super fast and goes on with a simple roller as it is. No need for mixing. Just hoover the floor and apply in a certain direction. Then let it dry, apply a 2nd coat in a different (i.e. horizontal) direction.

You do need to let your floor dry out once the carpet is tore up though so the length of time depends on how wet the floor is. Open windows are the best (I have been told by my carpet fitter mate with 20 yrs experience) than radiators or space heaters.

When you apply the 2nd coat of DPM and it dries you may see blotches of blue, like a gas blue colour. THis is the DPM actually drawing moisture out of your floor but protecting the damp from further coming through. So no need to worry. I was told to use a PVA solution to protect the floor but I tell you what, the DPM stuff is absolutely class. I know it is a damp proofer but when it binds to concrete nothing can remove it. I always think of it as the closest thing to concrete nano-technology!

Bang on, follow post above

DPM Proper stuff (damp proof membrane ) it's stops water from the ground/ surrounding areas coming up thru concrete that hasn't been laid on a DPM( ie visqueen)there are many more forms of this ie bituminous paint, etc etc etc ) , it'll last for years( PVA just keeps the dust down off the concrete/ slab after the prep of the DPM)

atb

kjf

Last edited:
Garage floor paint from screwfix, done mine 4 years ago and still great, quads and ride on mower in and out all the time and still no sign of wear
Ray

Thanks guys, very useful. I'd have gone down the homebase route and wasted my money.

Its not to get cleared by council, just to enable me to clean it and not have blood stains on the carpet.

The DPM sounds expensive? Interested in the screwfix one, sounds like a good half way house.

At my old house I used MOD workshop floor oil resistant paint, its grey and nothing sticks to it. Would guess you can get it surplus still.

I would avoid painting the concrete, painting is only aethestic and will be an added expense. If essential that you have to paint the floor - is the floor dry and free from moisture or damp, was a DPM laid, prior to pouring the concrete. If not, then any paint finish will peel and flake

Back