Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow cooker whats your thoughts?

Slow cooker whats your thoughts?

whats your thoughts on slow cookers for venison? any favorite recipes? please share as Aime new to these! normally put a rack with Dijon mustard on it the oven and thats it!!

Fantastic for stews - especially in the winter.

Chuck it all in, turn on and go to work, fishing, stalking...return home to lovely smell in house and piping hot stew awaiting you.

Wife uses it to make soups to.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun View Post
    Fantastic for stews - especially in the winter.

Chuck it all in, turn on and go to work, fishing, stalking...return home to lovely smell in house and piping hot stew awaiting you.

Wife uses it to make soups to.
    all in? as in the bones as well? assuming it will be hot enough to boil the meat off the bones!! and add to flavor!! if so sounds a better way to go.no waste, better taste,less waste!!!

a good slow cooker will make the meat so tender it will probably melt in your mouth bones and all! obviously its best for the type of meat that you would normally cook slowly, but you can even cook joints in it mmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    a good slow cooker will make the meat so tender it will probably melt in your mouth bones and all! obviously its best for the type of meat that you would normally cook slowly, but you can even cook joints in it mmmmmmmmmm
    off to Argos to buy one ime convinced!!!!!

Venison casserole in the beaters hut in the depths of winter....cant beat it and as said above....chuck everything in and walk away..simples

I normally use the hock of the legs and the fillets in the neck for mince..................then, I decided to dump some in the slow cooker. WOW.... as an example, just throw a whole neck in with some water and allow to cook away for 14 to 20 hours. It falls off the bone and has the most outstanding flavour. Better than some of the finer cuts.

Talking roe deer here by the way.

Cheers,

J

Cut a shank, throw in with tatties and onions and a basic gravy mix, go out for the day and forget about it.

Fantastic way of cooking.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Right! It's 9pm and my belly's rumbling. Off to get some diced Roe out of the freezer for tomorrow.
    I've only ever done the neck in the slow cooker and it was amazing! The flavour and the meat falling off the bone was better than any haunch or fillet.

Made my last casserole with a honey beer and some smokey pancetta thrown in.....mmmmmm

Venison stew.
    Try this in your slow cooker. The preperation time is about twenty minutes and the cooking time is about 9 hours.

Ingredients

900g venison stewing meat 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 3 medium onions, diced 3 sticks celery, diced 8 large carrots, peeled and diced 3 beef stock cubes 800ml beef stock 2 tablespoons worcester sauce. 300g frozen garden peas (optional) 150g fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional) salt and pepper to taste 65g cornflour 250ml water

Preparation method

1. Combine the venison, potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, stock cubes, stock and Worcester sauce in a slow cooker. Pour in just enough water to cover. Turn to High and cook until the stew comes to the boil. Reduce heat to Low and continue cooking until the venison is tender, about 8 to 10 hours.
    2. Ladle off any fat which has collected on the surface, then stir in the peas and mushrooms if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk together the cornflour and water. Stir this into the stew, increase heat to High, and cook until the stew has thickened and the peas have warmed through.
    (Tried similar last winter, an excellent meal to come home too)
    basil.
    Last edited by basil; 05-06-2010 at 23:57.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.