Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor fella...

Poor fella...

Shot this poor buck today, was amongst a group of three, the other two being six pointers and in prime condition.
    Anyone seen anything like it?

Had similar with the last buck I shot, mine also had a really shitty bum and lymphatic system all alarmingly inflamed and his coat was in exactly the same condition as yours. Needless to say mine was not taken home for the table.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I burried the carcass straight away as well...

What age were they? A lot of piner stags/hinds go this way too when old and winter has taken its toll on them. They seem not able to cope when the rich grass comes too and it goes straight through them.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Had similar with the last buck I shot, mine also had a really shitty bum and lymphatic system all alarmingly inflamed and his coat was in exactly the same condition as yours. Needless to say mine was not taken home for the table.....
    Which part of the lymphatic system was inflamed. If it was just the mesenterics which I suspect it was, then that would be perfectly safe to eat. It's perfectly normal in weak bucks at this time of year to have inflamed mesenterics! Any more than that though and it could have issues?
    I'm struggling to see anything wrong with this buck. It's molting and a poor animal but it isn't ill guys and is perfectly safe to eat IMO. A shitty arse is normal at this time of year as the new growth affects their stomachs. It's the same every single spring as any experienced stalker will tell you!
    Last edited by baguio; 16-04-2016 at 16:35.

I work with red deer and don't do much with roe so maybe they are different but if the stags on my estate all had coats as bad as that even when growing new coats in and shitty arses I would be concerned, new grass coming or not. To me its a sign something is not right with the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert/Ernie View Post
    I work with red deer and don't do much with roe so maybe they are different but if the stags on my estate all had coats as bad as that even when growing new coats in and shitty arses I would be concerned, new grass coming or not. To me its a sign something is not right with the animal.
    I agree, it does appear to be a roe thing Bert. The bad rear end happens in all ages but the coat does usually look worse in youngsters.
    Last edited by baguio; 17-04-2016 at 16:28.

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Which part of the lymphatic system was inflamed. If it was just the mesenterics which I suspect it was, then that would be perfectly safe to eat. It's perfectly normal in weak bucks at this time of year to have inflamed mesenterics! Any more than that though and it could have issues?
    I'm struggling to see anything wrong with this buck. It's molting and a poor animal but it isn't ill guys and is perfectly safe to eat IMO. A shitty arse is normal at this time of year as the new growth affects their stomachs. It's the same every single spring as any experienced stalker will tell you!
    guess I must be inexperienced then....... And clearly not up to your standard......
    I've shot the same ground for 10 years nearly and never shot a buck at this time of year as you describe. I could have sworn that the judgement on whether an animal is perfectly safe to eat or not falls to the person observing that animal prior to and after shooting, and not someone on then other end of a keyboard who's seen a couple of photos?

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    guess I must be inexperienced then....... And clearly not up to your standard......
    I've shot the same ground for 10 years nearly and never shot a buck at this time of year as you describe. I could have sworn that the judgement on whether an animal is perfectly safe to eat or not falls to the person observing that animal prior to and after shooting, and not someone on then other end of a keyboard who's seen a couple of photos?
    Here we go. How about you answer my question before you start ranting? You don't need to though because I know that I am correct as clearly you do!
    I have even said in my post that IMO it is safe to eat! Not yours or anyone elses opinion, JUST mine!
    None of us are too old to learn something new you know so why take offence?
    Last edited by baguio; 16-04-2016 at 17:49.

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Here we go. How about you answer my question before you start ranting? You don't need to though because I know that I am correct as clearly you do!
    I have even said in my post that IMO it is safe to eat! Not yours or anyone elses opinion, JUST mine!
    Actually i certainly don't know you're correct, and neither do you as you aren't equipped with the facts. But if you think you are, enjoy. I didn't answer your question, so not sure how you think you know your right, must be fun being so amazing.