Lost 3rd gear on X Trail - What is likely cause please?

daw

10 year old X Trail with 110,000 miles

About 1/2 dozen times over past couple of months when I've changed from 2nd to 3rd I've noticed a loud judder from front offside.

Today it happened again but now you can't get 3rd gear, it is like putting gears into neutral.

Anyone know likely cause please?

10 year old X Trail with 110,000 miles

About 1/2 dozen times over past couple of months when I've changed from 2nd to 3rd I've noticed a loud judder from front offside.

Today it happened again but now you can't get 3rd gear, it is like putting gears into neutral.

Anyone know likely cause please?

Just my ten penneth..

The only time this happened to me (some time ago) and the problem was not the gear box - but engine mounts. The mounts had perished and the engine was tllting so the actual gear lever was fouling the floor of the vehicle and not allowing the gear lever far enough forward (third gear again) for the gear to engage.

Prepared for incomings (this can't happen now...etc) - but that was my experience.

Happened to me once - blew 5th gear out through the bottom of the gearbox while overtaking a lorry on the motorway... Fortunately 1-4 still worked so was able to drive home and to the garage next day. Couldn't tell you why, but fortunately had a new gearbox under warranty. It was a VW not X-trail...

just had it happen on L200 at 36k and well known I know of several others now at similar milage third was bad or non existant to down shift too .new hub and syncro £1300 fitted ........out of warranty arhhh
Norma

Took it into my local garage. Linkage etc is all OK so problem is in the gearbox! Had it since new and in recent years its been a great workhorse.

Now in the market for a used X Trail!!

Back