Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Signs of case head separation once fired brass

Signs of case head separation once fired brass

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have.

I full length sized a batch of once fired 243 factory federal ammo and about half now have this light coloured ring around the base. If this a sign of case head separation in the future?

what could have caused this to happen?

Should i discard these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	69137

Many Thanks

At the risk of displaying my beginners ignorance they look fine to me. It is just the pressure mark from the full length resizing die as far as I can tell.

Either that, or both of us are doomed, because mine have that as well.

Hopefully some one with more experience will confirm this.

What lubrication did you use? Did they stick in the die any more than usual?

Do you have someone handy who can give the actual cases a once over?

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 17-04-2016 at 11:28.

Hi, those are just marks from the FL sizing die. You'll be fine.

You may be able to reduce these marks if you're able to adjust the die out a bit more whilst still allowing easy chambering.

Fairly normal now either your chamber is on the larger side of the normal spec or those factory cases are on the smaller side of the normal spec. If you can try a few factory rounds of anther make and then size those cases and see if they look the same.

One way to check for case head seperation is to make a small hook from a straightened out paper clip then use the small hook to feel insde the case for a ring just above the bottom inside the case. Another wold be of course to sacrifice a case by cutting it in two or just a window out of the wall by this ring mark.

Don't saw anything on this batch. Those are normal sizing marks. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu101 View Post
    Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have.

I full length sized a batch of once fired 243 factory federal ammo and about half now have this light coloured ring around the base. If this a sign of case head separation in the future?

what could have caused this to happen?

Should i discard these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	69137

Many Thanks

what you are actually seeing is an absence of sizing below the web
    the "light coloured ring" shows none of the brightening marks that the rest of the case shows

if you want to see indication of case head separation look at them immediately after firing and before sizing

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    what you are actually seeing is an absence of sizing below the web
    the "light coloured ring" shows none of the brightening marks that the rest of the case shows

if you want to see indication of case head separation look at them immediately after firing and before sizing

Good pics Ed.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks for putting my mind at rest everyone. I was using lee reloading lube and as its my first time resizing brass im not sure if it was sticking more than usual!

I do have some sako brass so il see if they resize differently.

In comparison to bewshers photos these are just shiny rings no indent whatsoever.

Thanks again.

use a neck sizer die (NSD) instead of a full length sizer (FLS). The FLS weakens the case every time used the NSD only sizes the neck and because of this the case body expands when fired and it will fit your chamber better which increases accuracy. The FLS die over time will make your case brittle and you will eventually get a cracked neck on firing. Only FLS every 10 times fired. If you want your brass to last nearly forever you need to anneal the neck. Heat the neck with blow torch for 2 seconds only! do not let it glow red! that weakens the case. Doing this keeps the neck supple and will never crack.

Thanks
    very experienced reloader

Quote Originally Posted by daryl8837 View Post
    use a neck sizer die (NSD) instead of a full length sizer (FLS). The FLS weakens the case every time used the NSD only sizes the neck and because of this the case body expands when fired and it will fit your chamber better which increases accuracy. The FLS die over time will make your case brittle and you will eventually get a cracked neck on firing. Only FLS every 10 times fired. If you want your brass to last nearly forever you need to anneal the neck. Heat the neck with blow torch for 2 seconds only! do not let it glow red! that weakens the case. Doing this keeps the neck supple and will never crack.

Thanks
    very experienced reloader
    How does FL resizing make the neck more brittle than neck sizing alone? I full length resize everything, including my long range ammo. (good enough for Lapua's Match ammo? good enough for mine!) I am with you on annealing. Very important as a measure to extend case life. On that subject, and FWIW, this is a quote from Lyman's latest reloading manual:

"Reloaders sometimes opt for neck sizing based on expecting increased case life. With normal chambers, neck sizing versus full length resizing offers little case life advantage. Thus, Lyman suggests full length resizing as the norm, especially for hunting loads where smooth feeding, chambering, and extraction are important."

I've found this to be true.~Muir