Thread: Vortex diamondback 4-12x40 AO

Vortex diamondback 4-12x40 AO

Hi guys, further to my previous thread on scope recommendations for a 22 Rimfire (Anshutz 1417)
    does anyone have any experience using the above scope I wonder?

I was looking initially at a Nikon prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 but the above scope seems to have a lot going for it also and is much easier to obtain. I particularly wanted a scope with a BDC reticule if possible which this scope has and as it has an adjustable objective lens, it should be suitable parallax wise for the shorter 22 LR rimfire ranges at which it will be used.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    Hi guys, further to my previous thread on scope recommendations for a 22 Rimfire (Anshutz 1417)
    does anyone have any experience using the above scope I wonder?

I was looking initially at a Nikon prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 but the above scope seems to have a lot going for it also and is much easier to obtain. I particularly wanted a scope with a BDC reticule if possible which this scope has and as it has an adjustable objective lens, it should be suitable parallax wise for the shorter 22 LR rimfire ranges at which it will be used.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    The local Trading Post is a Vortex dealer and sells a lot of the Diamond Back series. I think that scope has the same windage gradients as my Viper 1.5-4X on the 300AAC: 2 MOA, but has something a little different for elevation: Like 1.5 MOA for the first, 3 MOA for the next two and 3.5 MOA for the last. Not that this would be a problem and probably keeps the reticle from clogging up the field of view. I looked at one of these for my 300AAC but got seduced by a good price on the Viper PST.~Muir

I have one of these Diamondbacks, bought on an impulse when I stopped by Bud's Gun Shop and it was on a blowout price. The BDC stadia are the same as the Burris Ballistic Plex, which works for a lot of cartridges ( 100 yard increments for centerfire), and even for .22 LR ( 50, 75, 100, 125, 150 yards). An addition I like are the two marks on the horizontal crosshair, to help quickly range the distance from the known size of your target.

The glass is very clear, the reticle fine enough to really aim precisely, but not too fine to see at dawn and dusk. It is less busy than the little circles on the Nikon BDC, which are fine for round bullseyes. The Vortex is not very large or heavy, only about 13 or 14 ounces, and the occular end is larger than the Nikon Rimfire ( which is the Buckmaster), and smaller than the Nikon Prostaff or the Vortex Crossfire ( which some bolt handles will not clear).

Thanks for the comments so far, it looks like the Vortex may prove to be the better bet.