Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 308

New 308

All, I'm looking to get a new 308 rifle. Mainly used for high seat and maybe a little woodland work. What's the most accurate factory rifle out there in your varied experience? Not a reloader so looking for something that groups well with a variety of factory ammunition?

Quote Originally Posted by ESussex View Post
    All, I'm looking to get a new 308 rifle. Mainly used for high seat and maybe a little woodland work. What's the most accurate factory rifle out there in your varied experience? Not a reloader so looking for something that groups well with a variety of factory ammunition?
    In my experience:Tikka. Not fancy, but accurate as any. I hunt in remote areas far from people or cell phone service and I carry a Tikka.~Muir

A shortened Sako 75 would be great for woodland stalking and still hold its own from the seat.

without a doubt Mauser m12 extreme 1\2" group with geco 170 ammo within 6 shots without a mod straight out the box .1100 from bradshaws

I quite like the look of the M12. Not seen one "in the flesh" but have used an M03 in the past which was a solid piece of kit.

to be honest if your buying a new rifle i think you will be hard pushed especialy with the wide range of factory offering that come in .308 to find a rifle that doesnt shoot to a standard that you will be happy with, yes some will be more accurate than others but they will all be fine for sensible range stalking but what will of course differ is the build quality. if it were my money tho i would buy another sako 85 or if funds didnt quite streech far enough in would happily settle for a tikka especially if i could find a deal on a t3 now that the t3x is coming out, both are very accurate and well built but the 85 will have the edge with build quality

Grab hold and have a fiddle. Can't beat it. Sir-Lamp-A-Lot is right in that pretty much any new rifle these days will shoot well with factory ammo that suits it. So really the best thing to do is trawl gun shops and have a play with any of the usual suspects and see what takes your fancy.

one for sale on here at the mo by big kev sako 85 308,was going to get it myself but a 75 turned up,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 17-04-2016 at 17:44.
    DONT START

the tikka t3 would be my choice if the budget is limited, also the sako a7 is a very nice rifle, both group well with factory ammo cheers Geoff

Asking this question is like asking what's the best car to get me from A to B as its a personal preference.
    As said if buying new practically anything will do the job. I'd suggest go to a few shops and handle a few. See what fits and feels best.
    Personally I love the Tikka T3 and have 3 of them.
    The guy at the gun shop laughs as the last one I ordered he tried to sell me something else so he had me close my eyes and handed me a selection of rifles which I mounted to the shoulder, cycled the bolt & operated the safety catch. My reply was don't like, don't like etc. Then Ahh Tikka it just felt right.
    ILB