Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.6x57 experience ?

5.6x57 experience ?

Hi does anyone have any experience with 5.6x57 what is barrel life like and how expensive is factory ammo and brass. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser 91 View Post
    Hi does anyone have any experience with 5.6x57 what is barrel life like and how expensive is factory ammo and brass. Thanks in advance.
    Do a web search. Here, when you can find it, it's $56 to $75/20 for commercial ammo at it's cheapest. It is not the rifle for the non-reloader unless you have a serious ammo budget.~Muir

Always thought it looked interesting especially with a fast twist and the heavier bullets but I think maybe a barrel burner and struggles with not being roe legal in England and Wales... Think it might well complement a 257 Roberts, 7x57, 8x57 and 9.3x57 as a battery though...
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

I'm only an hour from the borders and only stalk up there anyway so the roe won't be a problem I wonder if it would function properly in a long action.

And also who sell rws brass ? It would be nice to have all the x57. I was planning on a 22-6.5x55 but I discovered this which seems better as ammo and dies are available.

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    Always thought it looked interesting especially with a fast twist and the heavier bullets but I think maybe a barrel burner and struggles with not being roe legal in England and Wales... Think it might well complement a 257 Roberts, 7x57, 8x57 and 9.3x57 as a battery though...
    Back in the late fifties, early 60's there was a man named Clark in the US who was necking down 7x57 to .224 for 80 grain bullets using a 1-8" twist. He had lots of documentation of its effectiveness as a game killer but he was scoffed at and considered an eccentric. Seems he might have been ahead of his time.~Muir

Got a Krico stutzen in 5.6x57 which does the bizz with RWS factory. Compliments my 'Euro' battery with my 7x64, 8x57, 9.3x62 and 9.3x74R. Deffo a barrel burner but as only used very occasionally this matters not.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Back in the late fifties, early 60's there was a man named Clark in the US who was necking down 7x57 to .224 for 80 grain bullets using a 1-8" twist. He had lots of documentation of its effectiveness as a game killer but he was scoffed at and considered an eccentric. Seems he might have been ahead of his time.~Muir
    I have a guy here who is dropping boar with one so it works for him.

Isn't it a bugger to reload due to the thick brass?
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    Isn't it a bugger to reload due to the thick brass?
    edi
    Apparently ! Met a guy in N.I. Reloading for one. RWS are the only one making the correct 74grain head. If memory serves me its diameter is 228. Still the cost is about €70 a box for the diehards down here.