Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenant Farmer requesting deer to be culled for crop protection

Tenant Farmer requesting deer to be culled for crop protection

Evening All,

I have been requested by a farmer to control the Roe who are demolishing his turnip fields each winter. His land extends to ~1000acres, but he is a tenant farmer and does not own the land. The neeps (turnips) are usually on about 20-30acres. The resident keeper of the greater estate does not appear to do much of a job and deer control is not a priority - according to the farmer he is never down on his land, appears to concentrate on the pheasant shoot on other sections of the estate.

My understanding is that even if the stalking rights are not held by the tenant farmer, then as per the guidance issued by SNH the farmer can control deer for crop protection?

If that is the case then it is still obviously a wise idea for the farmer to advise the estate that he wants my help.

Thoughts and opinions?

Regards
    Mike

should add that this is in Scotland...

My thinking is if they are doing damage in winter then shoot them in winter. His crops arnt growing in summer.

Will depend on his tenancy agreement, if he can shoot the deer or not, unless I had in writing from the landowner or who ever has the shooting rights I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Will depend on his tenancy agreement, if he can shoot the deer or not, unless I had in writing from the landowner or who ever has the shooting rights I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Tenant farmers can only shoot vermin, you would need permission from the landowner. Get the farmer to ask the owners it will be better coming from him.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Bit of a gray area - a farmer has a right to protect his crop and I would expect legislation (The Deer (Scotland) Act) will take precedence over any agreement or lease with the landowner.

HOWEVER, the sensible approach is for the farmer to write to his landlord and tell him that in the absence of effective action by the keeper he intends to bring in a third party to control the deer.

I agree with the above - sporting rights are generally excluded from tenancies for obvious reasons. Ground Game acts relate to rabbits and hares only and times of day, as far as I am aware. Be safe and get your farmer to ask the landlord and make sure you are named on any permission. I'd hate to be walking unaware into a prosecution which would mean the end of my firearms.

In this case, deer are vermin that need controlled.

Tenant farmers have every right to control them or to have you do it. The estate likely won`t care but in any case the farmer has the right to let you shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    In this case, deer are vermin that need controlled.

Tenant farmers have every right to control them or to have you do it. The estate likely won`t care but in any case the farmer has the right to let you shoot them.

^ This.