Reloading - cathartic?

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
Anyone else find reloading a calming and cathartic activity?

I got dragged into work this afternoon to fix a server and when I got home I was pretty wound up.

150 rounds of .44mag later and all is well with the world! :D

Alex

reloading.JPG

Last edited:
I was hoping my thread wouldn't be de-railed on the first reply - all mention of enjoying a sensible drink now removed. :rolleyes:

Cathartic, yes or no? :D

Hi Alex,
Now you know why I have to make use of a range so often:D otherwise my Shed/Garage/Lean-to and any other spare nook and cranny would be full of ammo :D
Not that I have so many situations whereby I need to 'chill out' and thus build my stock pile of ammo:rolleyes: :) :lol:

I was hoping my thread wouldn't be de-railed on the first reply - all mention of enjoying a sensible drink now removed. :rolleyes:

Cathartic, yes or no? :D
Sorry Alex. Derailment wasn`t my intention, i`m just surprised you said it.
basil.

Sorry Alex. Derailment wasn`t my intention, i`m just surprised you said it.
basil.

Well the fact I did quite openly hopefully suggests that I apply common sense whilst doing so, but you were right, I should have kept schtum. Sometimes the eye gets drawn to the wrong part of a post and off we go on a tangent!

Incidentally... in case anyone zooms in on the picture, the little bag of white powder is polishing compound for my tumbler, not class A drugs. :lol:

Hi Alex,
Now you know why I have to make use of a range so often:D otherwise my Shed/Garage/Lean-to and any other spare nook and cranny would be full of ammo :D
Not that I have so many situations whereby I need to 'chill out' and thus build my stock pile of ammo:rolleyes: :) :lol:

Hi Eddy,

I've been meaning to call you to catch up. Phone call incoming! :D

Alex

I don't feel that reloading is particularly relaxing. More like a technical exercise. Now on the other hand, I find bullet casting pretty relaxing, and I find reforming cartridges very satisfying.

Real relaxation comes when I shoot. Makes me very calm.~Muir

Fully Cathartic this a.m., after using my new Hornady Custom Grade dies yesterday, my first foray into reloading straightwalled cases, ended up with finely crafted & crimped rounds first time round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job! :D

Satisfyingly chunky rounds aren't they! What rifle are you going to put them through?

Alex

I have an 1894 .44mag in stainless and another .357 on the way, they are really well built guns, if only slightly lacking in finesse by European standards. A bit of slicking up, polishing and tweaking makes a world of difference. I can cycle my .44 with my little finger! :D

They are moving it to Remington I think, since they were bought out by Rem, but oddly there was a gap in supply for about 6 months last year, however shipments seem to be flowing again now :-|

They are moving production to North (or South, I forget) Carolina. I have no clue as to what will happen to the Lever gun production Marlin has been in New Haven for almost 140 years.

CSL: As a long time lever-gun shooter, I can tell you that the slicking and polishing should only be done if there is a severe mechanical hindrance that requires it. Leverguns are by nature a bit clunky and should be allowed to wear in. To polish them is to invite an unintended looseness a couple of decades down the road...provided you shoot it of course. Just my experiences. I have a Winchester 30-30 that I have had for 41 years. It smoothed up fine all on its own!~Muir

Back