Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSC2: is it worth doing?

DSC2: is it worth doing?

Hey folks,

Tried posting this question earlier, but it didn't seem to appear so I hope I'm not re-posting the same thread....
    I've just done DSC1 and already have a LANTRA deer management certificate under my belt, and I'm now seriously considering DSC2 as a follow-up.
    Obviously if I want to add being able to train others as a string to my bow, it's essential, but my question is; what is the professional benefit of DSC2 as a deer manager in the private sector?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Leopoldo; 17-04-2016 at 22:28.

For most recreational stalkers it is not a necessity. However, for yourself, it sounds like you wish to progress into the professional side of deer management and training and I would have thought it is therefore essential to give you credibility to train others? DSC 2 is the practical proof of the underpinning knowledge that you gained on DSC 1. It is almost like you have missed this step by already going on to do the Lantra Deer Managers Course which is akin to DSC 3?! You will need DSC 2 if you wish to progress to become an Approved Witness which is a definite advantage if you can offer DSC 2 training and witnessed stalks. You may well find, as I have, that you will also gain a huge amount more stalking (even paid stalking!) by having it. I also noticed recently that the top level of BASC stalking insurance requires DSC 2. It will certainly look good on any CV and may well give you the edge. I now have a large team of stalkers that assist me that have DSC 2 or are experienced DSC 1 and working towards DSC 2. Land owners and agencies respect the qualification and my life as a manager of deer managers becomes busier every day! It sounds like you already know it is the right direction for you to take. (PS my brother is an AW in Bristol!)
    Good luck.
    MS

I'm noticing on here more and more syndicates looking for DSC2. But my advice for the less experienced is get your DSC1, shoot deer for a year or so and gain some experience before going on for DSC2. Probably not relevant to you mind.
    I have been mulling over going for the DSC2 myself now for a while, really must make a start.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    For most recreational stalkers it is not a necessity. However, for yourself, it sounds like you wish to progress into the professional side of deer management and training and I would have thought it is therefore essential to give you credibility to train others? DSC 2 is the practical proof of the underpinning knowledge that you gained on DSC 1. It is almost like you have missed this step by already going on to do the Lantra Deer Managers Course which is akin to DSC 3?! You will need DSC 2 if you wish to progress to become an Approved Witness which is a definite advantage if you can offer DSC 2 training and witnessed stalks. You may well find, as I have, that you will also gain a huge amount more stalking (even paid stalking!) by having it. I also noticed recently that the top level of BASC stalking insurance requires DSC 2. It will certainly look good on any CV and may well give you the edge. I now have a large team of stalkers that assist me that have DSC 2 or are experienced DSC 1 and working towards DSC 2. Land owners and agencies respect the qualification and my life as a manager of deer managers becomes busier every day! It sounds like you already know it is the right direction for you to take. (PS my brother is an AW in Bristol!)
    Good luck.
    MS
    Perfect answer. Thanks very much.

Organisations such as the Forestry Commission, Woodland Trust, Wildlife Trusts and National Trust now require you to have the DSC2 before issuing a License. However they do occasional allow someone as an 'Authorised Person' with just the DSC1 under the supervision of their Licensed (DSC2) Stalker. When applying/searching for more/better land, if you have the DCS2 on your shooting CV you gain a position of competitive advantage compared to other stalkers who do not have it.
    I have met a few stubborn (generally older) stalkers who do 'not agree' with the DSC2, as they value their own long experience much higher ('I have shot 2,000+ deer, so I don't need the DSC2...') Sadly for them most landowners disagree, simply from a 'due diligence' point of view. They are sidelining themselves when land becomes available from the above mentioned organisations - and increasingly from private estate owners as well.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Its also good to have goals in life and things you want to achieve. I'm sure many people who achieve their DSC2 don't need it for professional reasons but simply because it was something they wanted to achieve. Its a great feeling when you achieve something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    Its also good to have goals in life and things you want to achieve. I'm sure many people who achieve their DSC2 don't need it for professional reasons but simply because it was something they wanted to achieve. Its a great feeling when you achieve something like that

+1 to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    Agree completely with this statement, and from a personal point of view it is the next logical step in my deer stalking career. If there is something available to me that will aid my chances in the future of gaining my own permissions then in my eyes there is no question on whether it is worth it or not.

Understandably there will be people out there that have been shooting long before the DSC 1 & 2 system was put in place but times are changing.

I have the DSC 2 and achieved it about three years ago now. It is worth doing and my view is that it is worth doing before such things become mandatory and they get a whole lot harder. In my experience there are AW's and AW's. Fortunately I worked with two very good ones and certainly came away very much more knowledgeable than before I started, although I did talk to a few.

And having the DSC 2 has allowed me to be part of a syndicate, and to stalk unaccompanied etc.