.308 Moderator opinions

Lukesterz

Hi all, I've recently purchased a Steyr SBS Tactical as a stalking rifle and I am in the process of getting the barrel threaded for a moderator. The rifle was purchased quite cheaply and I am planning to put on a Schmidt and Bender 8x56 scope.

image 1.jpg

So far I have narrowed moderator choice down to the Wildcat Evolution and the Ase Ultra Jet-Z. Is there a major difference between being able to take the mod apart and clean the baffles vs a one piece mod?

Anyone used either of these moderators and can shed some light on which to go for?

Thanks

Last edited:
Got the wildcat evolution on my .308 Tikka T3 varmint love it to bits & can't fault it.
Can't compare it to the others I've no experience of them.
Have one of the first DM80's on my .243 Tikka T3 varmint and by comparison the DM80 is bigger and heavier.
ILB

I have the Wildcat Evolution and would say go with that as you have the option to change the bridge and baffles to fit another rifle if needed.

I have the jet z on my 308 target rifle.
It's a great mod for target shooting but I would go with the wildcat evolution for stalking.

Hi mate, i have a atec on my .243 and just bought a northstar for my .308 and boy was i impressed, i dont think its as load as the .243, but thats only my two pennith worth.
Neil

i dont want too highjack just to throw another in whats the ase sl7 like its supposed to be smaller and lighter than the other s series,

Got a wildcat on my .308 ,no probs at all but spanner in the works got an Atec Maxim on my .243 love that even more smaller lighter can add more baffles if needed atb

I use a Northstar on my .308.
In my experience, a CF mod really doesn't need to be taken apart for cleaning - and from my perspective, the simpler things are, the better!

Andru - other way arouind, the S7/SL7 is the Magnum version of the s5/SL5. The SL5 looks like one of those hotel fridge soft drinks cans - small. But I rate them highly.

Wildcat do very little for me and I would go for the ASE Jet Z from the two choices stated.

As a side issue, ATEC evwentually gave up advising people not to take their Maxim Mod apart, then put stickers on it emphasing not to take it apart and now have changed the design to the 'Hertz' which is non strippable.:tiphat:

Thanks everyone for the interesting feedback. I am swaying towards the Wildcat Evo, however I only have about 170mm of barrel length from the end of the stock to the end of the barrel. The Wildcat extends over the barrel 160mm leaving a 10mm gap between it and the stock.

Would this leave me enough room and sufficiently recoil etc or should I go for the Jet Z which extends away from the barrel?

Thanks again for all the replies, valuable information.

Andru - other way arouind, the S7/SL7 is the Magnum version of the s5/SL5. The SL5 looks like one of those hotel fridge soft drinks cans - small. But I rate them highly.

Wildcat do very little for me and I would go for the ASE Jet Z from the two choices stated.

As a side issue, ATEC evwentually gave up advising people not to take their Maxim Mod apart, then put stickers on it emphasing not to take it apart and now have changed the design to the 'Hertz' which is non strippable.:tiphat:
Thanks for that yes i have the sl5 small dumpy heavy but good,just enquiring as i have a 308 one to save for now!!:tiphat:

Got a wildcat evo on my pro hunter. Feels nice and balanced. I've got a 24" barrel mind. Happy to send pics if you like.

Don't worry about the length of barrel you have to play with. The 160mm is a typo- the Evo only goes back about 110mm.
The guys at Wildcat have exceptional customer service. I'd recommend them very highly.

Ase Ultra North Star on both my TRG 22 .308 & Sako 85 Varmint .243. Thoroughly impressed with both. Also had an A-Tech Maxim on the Tikka T3 .308 - just as impressed

I have the wildcat predator 12 on my 0.308, very happy with it and I have the diffuser and to use it on my 0.243 as well, about an extra £75 for effectively a second mod. luckily they both have 18x1 threads.

I previously had a A-tec CCM4 on the 0.243 but much prefer the wildcat, as the baffles don't get gas cut so easily, wildcat have good customer service as well, but then again I do have to drive by there shop every day!!

Back