Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 Rifle Choice

308 Rifle Choice

I have had a 243 since I was 17 - started with a Parker Hale and traded it in for a Tikka T3 Hunter a few years ago. To date over the years I have shot mostly roe and a few red each year. I decided to add a 308 to my collection and had the variation to my FAC approved. I have been doing a bit of reviewing of my options and whittled it down to the following choices:

- Tikka T3X Lite - I can't fault my Hunter in 243, but fancy an all weather stock this time. The recent upgrades to the T3X are all positive and like the second option for the pistol grip as I get small attacks of arthritis in my finger joints from time to time.
    - Browning X-Bolt Hunter Eclipse - I have always fancied a thumbhole stock as I like how solid it feels when you are holding it. It also would help when I have an arthritis attack.
    - Mauser M12 Impact - I liked the feel of it when I put to my shoulder at the recent Deer Stalking Fair at Kelso.

I have read up on them all on the internet and various reviews etc, but thought I would see what my fellow hunters on The Stalking Directory who have used any of the above thought of them before I make my final decision. Any thoughts, pros, cons, comments pluses or minuses would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Cheers

Stewarty69

ive mentioned it a bit lately nothing to dislike about the Mauser m12 extreme
    Norma

One of my mates bought the Browning X bolt, but didn't like how it shot and traded it back in for a Mannlicher.
    Ive got Tikka T3 in .308 and find it very practical to use. (synthetic stock and stainless barrel).
    The Mauser looks like a very good option too, so if you don't mind spending a little more I'd probably go for it over the T3X.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    ive mentioned it a bit lately nothing to dislike about the Mauser m12 extreme
    Norma
    Thanks norma308

Quote Originally Posted by sikasako View Post
    One of my mates bought the Browning X bolt, but didn't like how it shot and traded it back in for a Mannlicher.
    Ive got Tikka T3 in .308 and find it very practical to use. (synthetic stock and stainless barrel).
    The Mauser looks like a very good option too, so if you don't mind spending a little more I'd probably go for it over the T3X.
    Thanks sikasako

i've got a tikka t3 ctr .308, very accurate rifle, nice feel to the stock and a lovely action. cant complain. If you are used to the T3 then another one will mean you continue to have the same muscle memory- safety, bolt throw, magazine release and general feel all the same. Also if you find the stock that much more comforatable as a tx3 you can switch it to and form the .243 if it suits you needs for a trip better.

Run 3 .308's a P14 for serv rifle but my 2 longer range and target rifles are a Steyr SSG69 and a TRG22, several,of the lads at my club shoot .308 Tikka T3's and even with the 20" barrels do very well out to 600 comfortably without hugely expensive glass on them. I would say, in conclusion, if that was my budget and I was to only have one rifle that would be it. Several have Howa's and weatherby's they are ok but just do not have the build quality. The SSG69 is a great rifle but the standard stock is a bit pants, my is now in a Macmillan tactical but I do slip it back into the factory stock for sporting rifle comps. The engineering and bolt action are sublime but really also needs the bottom metal,conversion which means it accepts AI magazines which would make it disproportionately expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by rwade545 View Post
    i've got a tikka t3 ctr .308, very accurate rifle, nice feel to the stock and a lovely action. cant complain. If you are used to the T3 then another one will mean you continue to have the same muscle memory- safety, bolt throw, magazine release and general feel all the same. Also if you find the stock that much more comforatable as a tx3 you can switch it to and form the .243 if it suits you needs for a trip better.
    Thanks rwade545

Quote Originally Posted by Topdogpippin View Post
    Run 3 .308's a P14 for serv rifle but my 2 longer range and target rifles are a Steyr SSG69 and a TRG22, several,of the lads at my club shoot .308 Tikka T3's and even with the 20" barrels do very well out to 600 comfortably without hugely expensive glass on them. I would say, in conclusion, if that was my budget and I was to only have one rifle that would be it. Several have Howa's and weatherby's they are ok but just do not have the build quality. The SSG69 is a great rifle but the standard stock is a bit pants, my is now in a Macmillan tactical but I do slip it back into the factory stock for sporting rifle comps. The engineering and bolt action are sublime but really also needs the bottom metal,conversion which means it accepts AI magazines which would make it disproportionately expensive.
    Thanks topdogpippin

Tikka is most common with my friends i have had a couple,( NO PROBLEMS) still have one Most guns are like cars now not many bad one,s just what suits you at the local rifle club we have seen a few problems with Brownings (magazines )Remington (ACCURACY PROBLEMS)