Thread: Heym Floorplate

Heym Floorplate

I've a new to me sr40 heym in .222. She's a bit rough but shoots very well so intention is to give her some tlc.

An initial problem seems to be that the spring in the floorplate mag is too weak/fatigued to push the rounds up in line with the chamber.

I'm struggling to decipher the heym German website. Any suggestions whether it's possible to source an entire replacement floorplate, spring or any straightforward fixes?

I've got it on the back of my mind that heym rifles are hand finished and parts not readily interchangeable, but that might just be their top end stuff.

Cheers

Novice

The first thing I would do is strip out the magazine case and remove the magazine follower (platform) and check them for burrs that may be hindering the smooth movement of it. Unless the rifle has been left loaded for many decades it is doubtful that the spring has become that weak. An e-mail to Heym might also be agood idea.

Thanks. I've emailed heym but no response, which is disappointing. Any idea whether an off the shelf spring from say a short action Remington 700 would fit?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Thanks. I've emailed heym but no response, which is disappointing. Any idea whether an off the shelf spring from say a short action Remington 700 would fit?

Novice
    For Pete's sake don't contaminate a Heym with a remington, it's Mauser you should be looking at.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Hi try contacting Fr. Jacqui Jansen van Vuuren Heym English Liaison Officer her email is j.jansen-van-vuuren@heym-ag.de Failing that try contacting James Garland via Garlands website. Garlands are the main UK distributor for Heym.

Both Jacqui at Heym and James at Garlands have helped me twice now in the last 6 months with parts for my Heym SR30. I am sure Jaccqui will answer you, but if you need to purchase anything they will point you to Garlands...

Dave

Give Garlands a shoot they are one of the importers.

In the past I have simply rung Heym and they have been very helpful - and no I don't speak German.

My advice would be to give the follower a good polish with some 600 emery cloth.