Renewal lottery

kes

Is it perhaps time that our shooting organisations took the trouble to document renewal times for police authorities and begin a campaign with the newly appointed Police and Crime Commissioners to deliver a fair and reasonable service for the recently increased fee. Lest we are asked (again ) to pay more for a service we should be getting now for the higher fees ?
Note, I am not 'bashing' anyone, it is, however, getting near on 12 months for the worst authorities, I also need a one for one and dont want to wait for ever.

Kes, you really are trying to take first place as a B.A.S.C, basher here!:lol:

Absolutely no - I'd leave that to others. However, as was said to me, if the cap fits ?
Having read so many comments on renewal times increasing and S7 permits, it seems to me, if I was a member of staff of an org, I would be suggesting going for the throat - I suppose its just me but I did think we would get a little more for our increased fees?
I think your comment was rather 'tongue in cheek' since I mentioned no shooting org in particular. I would like anyone to take and interest in this problem.

Having barely made this comment the CA report their survey - elsewhere on the site - good for them, it needed doing.

mines up in six months i,m crapping it allready,plus wondering when to get it in,:scared:

Mine's due in late 2017, thinking since I don't belong to a shooting org, maybe I should talk to my FEO about renewal times tomorrow ! Since it is unlikely to be Cheshire (bless their cotton socks), I can't rely on a reasonable/good service anymore.

Devon and Cornwall publish their processing times on their website so they at least have put a marker down to be judged against. Good for them and I genuinely hope the meet or better them, which will be good for everyone, us and them. regards SBM from a previous fellow public servant caseworker.

Mine's due in late 2017, thinking since I don't belong to a shooting org, maybe I should talk to my FEO about renewal times tomorrow ! Since it is unlikely to be Cheshire (bless their cotton socks), I can't rely on a reasonable/good service anymore.

Perhaps you had better put it in now and maybe they will get it done in time..

Just looked on the forces web sites.
Cheshire don't say how long to process.
GmP say 14 weeks.
Lancashire say 8 weeks but will contact 12 weeks before renewal date.
I think it's imperative that you fill out the forms correctly and provide all the requested information.

You have to laugh at police forces asking people to put your ticket in early, it's only so they can massage the figures.

Just looked on the forces web sites.
Cheshire don't say how long to process.
GmP say 14 weeks.
Lancashire say 8 weeks but will contact 12 weeks before renewal date.
I think it's imperative that you fill out the forms correctly and provide all the requested information.

sent mine in to GMP 25 weeks and still counting

Part of my reply to another thread repeated here.

My own home FLD (North Wales) is highlighted by the Countryside Alliance as being poor but my experience has been relatively positive. I renewed my SC in 2015 and had a letter from my FLD advising me to get my application in in plenty of time because of heavy workloads. I submitted my application less than the recommended 12 weeks ahead of the expiry date, I recall it was with 8 weeks to run. About 3 weeks before expiry I received a S.7 temporary certificate but as it turned out my SC came through just before expiry and no security visit. This temporary certificate would presumably be in the stats but need not have been issued as it turned out.

My FAC was due for renewal at the end of February 2016, again I had a letter advising an early submission because of work loads and this time I got my renewal in by early December. The FLD agreed to me holding onto my current FAC as I needed it to go stalking. I had my security visit in early Feb by a very nice young man (civilian) who managed to determine that one of the serial numbers on my current FAC was wrong and he said he would change it. I asked for AOLQ on both rifles and despite the fact that I have no "named ground" or permissions I got it with no issues, plus I got a phone call to say that for quite a small extra payment they'd make my SC and FAC co-terminus, I agreed, sent a cheque and got both certificates back a week before my FAC expired with a polite request to return the other certificates. Job done!

If you look at the number of temporary certificates that were issued in 2015 and the increase over 2014 it's very clear that FLD workloads were ramped up in 2015 and current resources couldn't cope, as long as they do their best in the face of budget reductions I think we have to be patient.

From my point of view I had a perfectly good service from a police force singled out for criticism. My point is that there needs to be a look at what is behind the statistics and not just leap into criticism. Sure there are poor FLDs but more because they or their Chief Constables rewrite the law the way they want it with unreasonable conditions way beyond Home Office Guidelines.

Last edited:
I noticed that one of the measures they marked NWP down on was the number of section sevens issued. But NWP issue a section seven if they think you might be left without a valid certificate. This is pretty responsible rather than "you will be OK" which has no basis in law at all. I reckon they are not too bad at all.

David.

All very well for those that get good or normal service but spare a thought for the lads awaiting the envelope falling on the mat ,our force said it was pushed hard in the face of extra work/reviewing every claim,shortage of staff threats of cuts etc,they then take on extra staff to cope but still dont improve the service ,i myself waited over five months just for a reply back in april/may 15 till end of sept/oct 15 no answers too emails /calls/letters only when i contacted ngo and they said threaten them with a formal complaint did a lovely woman answer me and did everything for me within five minutes over the phone,so who,s wasting who,s time,also on a different note ive refereed at least four certs in the last couple of years and never ever had a call to check them,,ATB DOUG

I noticed that one of the measures they marked NWP down on was the number of section sevens issued. But NWP issue a section seven if they think you might be left without a valid certificate. This is pretty responsible rather than "you will be OK" which has no basis in law at all. I reckon they are not too bad at all.

David.
Yes, exactly. Mine would have been in the stats but in the end wasn't needed. I have to say that over my last two renewals I've nothing but praise for NWP Firearms Dept. On the previous renewal I wanted to buy a new .270 but didn't want to have a forced sale for a "one out one in" so they gave me an extra temporary .270 slot for 6 months.

It's strange how there can be huge difference in waiting times. Co-Terminous renewal sent in on 26th March, and arrived through the door from Police Scotland 30th April. It was due on the 6th June so hence I thought couple of months would be quite sufficient. How wrong I was, fast and efficient service. Going by some of the horror stories we are blessed.

M

my renewal and application for coterminus SGC went in to TVP 5 months before renewal, than as far as I can see it sat in a pile gathering dust until I started rattling cages (with the help of BASC) some weeks before renewal,
my FEO was very thorough (as my club secretary can confirm!!) and rang my land referees (and even took the time to check their land permissions even though they were in different counties)
he did say he fully expected I would be issued a sec 7 even though I had everything lined up and in 5 months early!
I was somewhat concerned about this, and sent emails to all and sundry asking who was expected to pay for lodging of firearms and expanding ammo should my FAC not be renewed on time or a sec 7 issued prior to that (how would I know?)
eventually shortly before expiry (couple of days ) I recieved an email from a senior FEO stating my cert was in the post, it arrived a couple of days after the other one expired.
I am convinced if I had not kicked up and made a fuss that I would still be on a sec7 now!!

Back