Thread: Firearms application

Firearms application

Hi all ,
    I know it's late but just in from work and need some advice on something that's been bothering me.
    Recently taken , and passed my DSC1 ( which I'm well chuffed about ) and now applying for my firearms license. I hold a shotgun license , and will apply for a co-terminous to cover both . However, do I have to apply separately on the form for an fac shotgun or will a firearm license cover me if I decide to get one ?
    Many thanks for any advise
    mark

I think I understand your question. You want to know once you get your firearms certificate can you then go out and buy a shotgun that needs to go on a firearms certificate.

The answer is that you have to have a slot for each firearm on your certificate that you want to buy. As a Section 1 shotgun is a section 1 firearm, it is treated the same as any rifle you want to get. That is, you have to apply for it on your application form specifically and you have to show good reason for it to be granted.

Hope that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by MD68 View Post
    Hi all ,
    I know it's late but just in from work and need some advice on something that's been bothering me.
    Recently taken , and passed my DSC1 ( which I'm well chuffed about ) and now applying for my firearms license. I hold a shotgun license , and will apply for a co-terminous to cover both . However, do I have to apply separately on the form for an fac shotgun or will a firearm license cover me if I decide to get one ?
    Many thanks for any advise
    mark
    I am not quite sure of your question, but an FAC is not like a shotgun certificate in that once you have one you cannot pop out and buy any rifle you fancy.

It is much more cumbersome.

You have to specify and justify each and every item on the FAC.

If you want to add a new item, or exchange for a different rifle you have to apply for a variation. So for instance you apply for a 22LR and moderator (which counts as two items) and a .308W rifle and moderator...so four items or "slots".

You can then sell the 22LR and inform your FLO and ask them to take it off your licence because you now want to buy a 22WMR. "A one for one". The license comes back with the 22LR taken off and permission to buy a rimfire written onto it...hence an "open slot". The calibre make and serial number of each item is listed. You cannot just swap a CZ 22LR for a Finnfire 22LR without going through this rigmarole.

So in your case you apply for whatever rifles and moderators you want for stalking. When you want your FAC shotgun you apply to have that added. You pay a fee for each addition (one for one variation is free). Depending upon the time lag between applying for you rifle and the purchase of the shotgun you might be better off applying for everything you want up front. They do not like you to not fill a slot though, so upon renewal or any other change to your licence if you have not filled the slot you are likely to loose the opportunity unless you can make a good case for keeping it open.

Best bet is to contact your FLO and have chat with them rather than take my word for it though.

Alan

p.s. took me too long to type out, sorry for the repetition of Pedro's points.
    Last edited by Alantoo; 18-04-2016 at 23:50.