Thread: Wall mounted key safe

Wall mounted key safe

What's your opinions on these. Are they a good idea or is this just stating the obvious where the keys to the cabinet are?

If you have the tools or ability to get into a key safe then you can easily get into the gun cabinet. Plenty of people have them on the wall next to their front door and don't have them broken into in order to get in their house, they'd just go round the back and smash a window etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknsilver View Post
    What's your opinions on these. Are they a good idea or is this just stating the obvious where the keys to the cabinet are?
    It depends upon the quality of the key safe and how firmly it can be bonded to the fabric of the building. Some so called key safes are no more secure than a sandwich box.
    If a key safe is used it should be sited in a concealed location, well away from the gun cabinet.

It is not possible to make anything totally thief proof, if the criminals come well prepared and equipped, however we can make it more difficult for them with a little thought.

An obvious key cabinet is not a good idea, neither is the sock drawer located next to the gun cabinet.

Possibly hard to believe but I have experience of guns being stolen in both these situations.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

I think theyre a good idea if concealed. A random burglar will probably not find it and you don't need to carry your keys all over the place with you for when there are people in the house (partners, kids etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    It depends upon the quality of the key safe and how firmly it can be bonded to the fabric of the building. Some so called key safes are no more secure than a sandwich box.
    If a key safe is used it should be sited in a concealed location, well away from the gun cabinet.

It is not possible to make anything totally thief proof, if the criminals come well prepared and equipped, however we can make it more difficult for them with a little thought.

An obvious key cabinet is not a good idea, neither is the sock drawer located next to the gun cabinet.

Possibly hard to believe but I have experience of guns being stolen in both these situations.
    Couldn't be truer, concealment has to be your first line of defence with the cabinet too. I've heard of a couple of instances locally recently where intruders have simply ripped the cabinet off the wall and taken it away. I don't know if the forces concerned have been trying to play such incidents down because I haven't seen any reports in the local newspapers about either incident.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

These type of safes are a good idea if a modicum of common sense is used along with them. One outside my elderly parent's house is a great asset. A key safe next to the gun cabinet isn't going to fool even the dullest of burglars though. So to have it somewhere else and not easily come across would make sense.

It's true that you can't stop the most determined burglar, but most burglaries are done by youths looking for a thrill or druggies looking for something to pay for their next hit. If you can foil them so that your firearms aren't taken in the unfortunate case of having burglars, you will have done well.

I think it depends on the key safe TBH!

If its just one of those little tin boxes which you can jimmy open with a screwdriver then no, I wouldnt use one because that provides no security and advertises where the keys are kept.

However if its one of the police approved key safes which are designed to store a front door key and go on the outside of your house (which have big old 10mm long bolts which self tap into the brickwork) then those I think are a good idea. The darn things are near bomb proof, and once you've bolted it to the wall theres no way that things coming off or being opened without professional cutting equipment!!

I think they're a good idea because in most houses just hiding the key away somewhere probably isnt enough to prevent other household members knowing where the keys are stored which increases the chances of unauthorised access.

The other reason I like them is in the event that a casual thief happens to break in while you are out they are less likely to just stumble across a hidden key, and even if they do find the key safe they wont be able to get into it.

The key safe also removes the need to carry the keys with you everywhere, reducing the chance of them being lost accidentally.

Ok, crooks with all the kit to crack a safe probably could get into the key safe, but if they have that kit they'd also be able to get into your gun safe directly.

I think a good key safe reasonably close to the cabinet is a pretty good idea.

Just hard enough to require a decent amount of time and effort to open.

And don't keep the cabinet keys in it.
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Have to agree with Jockstalk on that one, I've got a sacrificial key box next to the cabinets with junk keys in it,, its effectively a delaying tactic..

keep the keys in another secure location well away from the guns.. anything which makes life difficult for a thief is good news as most take what that can carry and go. some will be a little more persistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell308 View Post
    Have to agree with Jockstalk on that one, I've got a sacrificial key box next to the cabinets with junk keys in it,, its effectively a delaying tactic..

keep the keys in another secure location well away from the guns.. anything which makes life difficult for a thief is good news as most take what that can carry and go. some will be a little more persistent.
    Mine is well out of the way of the cabinet, not much point in having it next to the cabinet, but I love the sacrificial idea. Be great to see them on camera trying 100 keys, none of which work, whilst giving Plod time to get there and catch them red handed!