Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5-300 wby mag - who's first?!

6.5-300 wby mag - who's first?!

Weatherby | NEW 6.5-300 Wby. Mag - Ammunition - Products

i know there are quite a few 6.5mm fans on here so only a matter of time until someone gets one...? I'd certainly like a play with one!!

Quote Originally Posted by 75 View Post
    Weatherby | NEW 6.5-300 Wby. Mag - Ammunition - Products

i know there are quite a few 6.5mm fans on here so only a matter of time until someone gets one...? I'd certainly like a play with one!!
    Had to laugh at this line :.....

Weatherby® has always been a leader and innovator when it comes to velocity, energy, and accuracy. It’s what the company was founded on
    Recently came across a thread on another forum where no matter what the chaps super new Weatherby MkV would shoot very poorly:...

Gentlemen,

I have a Weatherby Mark 5 Ultralightweight SMOA in 270 Winchester. It shoots like el crapo. I have had a few Weatherby rifles and some where rock stars and others lounge lizards. This one is a lizard.

Weatherby says it meets it's 1 inch garuanty but only with 140gr Sierra match kings .... Everything else is 2.25 MOA. Not a great hunting bullet to say the least.
    Then there is this response:.....

I have a gunsmith out of Helena MT that used to do warranty work for weatherby, they commented to me years ago that weatherby's product had a lot to be desired and getting a little worse as time marches on..especially comments on their 9 locking lugs..and how in most guns usually 2 or 3 at most actually locked..the others simply did not for lack of quality control..
    Why am I not surprised at this? May be the new round is too drum up new custom and fool a few more people?

I've a mate who bought a brand new Weatherby MkV in .240 Weatherby. He very quickly rebarreled it in 25/06 as the .240 was for all intents and purposes "a waste of time and money".
    Not my opinion his words.
    His investigation of the Weatherby lugs with prussian blue revealed that only 3 actually mated and to get all 9 mated would take a lifetime of faffing about.
    I only looked at the timberwork and thought it crass
    Last edited by hybridfiat; 19-04-2016 at 12:49.

Weatherby must have had a brain fart the 6.5-300 Weatherby came and went years ago it was a popular wildcat for 1000 yard benchrest back in the 70's I have an old Sierra reloading manual
    with load data for it,
    It only lasted a few years then faded away replaced by 7mm and .30 calibre magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Weatherby must have had a brain fart the 6.5-300 Weatherby came and went years ago it was a popular wildcat for 1000 yard benchrest back in the 70's I have an old Sierra reloading manual
    with load data for it,
    It only lasted a few years then faded away replaced by 7mm and .30 calibre magnums.
    Do not know about : ...................

Weatherby must have had a brain fart
    but I cannot think of an idea associated with Weatherby that is an original one. It seems that every thing Weatherby has been used before and is not his or thier idea originally from the multilug bolt head to the double venturi case shoulder. Will try to find the article on this that i was reading a little time back. Even the light fast bullets was not a Weatherby original idea Ross and Newton were doing that before Weatherby was born.

Actually the 6.5mm-300 Weatherby is nothing new the 1000 yard guys here in the USA were using it 40 years ago . Be nice to have one to play with but I already have a 26 Nosler . There's maybe a nickles difference between the two !

Another overbored cartridge. (yawn!) ~Muir

Velocity is EVERYTHING Muir, don't you know that? It's like a lightening bolt on the super tough deer we have now. Can't go after these modern beasts with a 6.5x55 it just wouldn't work and God help the man who uses a 45-70.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Unless you are at very close range, right?~Muir

I got looking at this round. So typically Weatherby. Based on the average case capacity of the 300 WBY Magnum, you will need 33% more powder to get an additional 100-200 fps from a 140 grain compared to a 264 Winchester Magnum. A cartridge, by the way, available for far less than $95/20 US. But at least the unprimed brass is reasonably priced at $210/100. That's only $50 more than 338 Lapua.... ~Muir