Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satelite phones

Satelite phones

Looking for a Sat phone for emergency use while stalking in remote areas, what do you recommend and how much are they?

Have you checked out the personal locator beacons as well like the delorme and Mcmurdo models. may not be what you are after but worth going through the thought process

If your aim is to chat to people while out stalking then the sat phone might be what you want.

If your aim is to get rescued with the very highest chances of success should disaster befall you then the PLB is the solution.

Clearly neither trump having a plan, leaving details and all the other sensible stuff.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    If your aim is to chat to people while out stalking then the sat phone might be what you want.

If your aim is to get rescued with the very highest chances of success should disaster befall you then the PLB is the solution.

Clearly neither trump having a plan, leaving details and all the other sensible stuff.

Going to Arran on the BASC scheme and they insist on us ringing in all the time which is a real pain if you have to get to civilization to get mobile service!!

May not be suitable for your purposes but have you considered getting a roaming sim card for a basic phone? I am trialing this at the moment and early results are good especially for sending texts which require a minimal signal.

try this link for rental http://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/rent
    Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Anybody rented one?

I have a Global Star satellite phone that I purchased after a tragedy when away stalking in an area with no mobile signal prevented me getting medical assistance to a dear friend.

The handset was circa 300.00 and it costs 150.00 per year to keep live. Great reception although the set is like the old " brick "

Great to be able to give the missus a ring for comforts sake and if you ever really need it in Emergency circumstances its " cheap as chips"

Cheers

We use satphones quite a lot for work. We generally buy second hand iSatphone Pro's on eBay, then set up a monthly line rental scheme with satphone.co.uk, who we've found friendly and efficient. But for your purposes I'd probably rent one. The iSatphone Pro will be fine, as will any Iridium handset. I would go for something like this: http://www.satphone.co.uk/inmarsat-isatphone-pro-rental - 6/ day for the handset, and 50 for 50 minutes airtime (all exc VAT). Unfortunately, nothing to do with satphones is cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by pazmino View Post
    We use satphones quite a lot for work. We generally buy second hand iSatphone Pro's on eBay, then set up a monthly line rental scheme with satphone.co.uk, who we've found friendly and efficient. But for your purposes I'd probably rent one. The iSatphone Pro will be fine, as will any Iridium handset. I would go for something like this: http://www.satphone.co.uk/inmarsat-isatphone-pro-rental - 6/ day for the handset, and 50 for 50 minutes airtime (all exc VAT). Unfortunately, nothing to do with satphones is cheap...

Thanks,sounds like what we are after.....