Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another bino thread.

Another bino thread.

Looking for a good pair. Spotted these

Hawke Sapphire ED Open Hinge 8x43 Hunting Binoculars - Optics Warehouse

been looking at at second hand ones for slightly more. But after buying a new Hawke frontier scope I was well impressed with the glass I am temped on these.
    Anyone got these?
    i spotted a pair of Swarovski in the for sale section. Again tempted. But I do like the idea of new.

buy the swaros you won't regret it !esp at dawn and dusk

not many manufacturers replace parts like eye cups ob covers straps ect for foc like swaro
    Last edited by norma 308; 20-04-2016 at 21:23.

as above buy the swarovski,s, they will last you your life

They are probably perfectly good binos, the lower and mid range binos have come on a long way in the last few years however, if you buy them for 345 ten minutes after you open the box they will be worth 50. Buy secondhand Swarovskis for 500-600 and ten years later they will be worth 500-600!

Also look at secondhand Leica, Leitz and older Zeiss. If you really want new but can't stretch to the top end then look at Opticron. I hear good things about Minox too but I have no personal experience.

Birding shops like Cley Spy and In Focus are generally a much better bet than shooting shops. Most have a good range of secondhand binos, often much more than they list on their websites so worth a phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknsilver View Post
    Looking for a good pair. Spotted these

Hawke Sapphire ED Open Hinge 8x43 Hunting Binoculars - Optics Warehouse

been looking at at second hand ones for slightly more. But after buying a new Hawke frontier scope I was well impressed with the glass I am temped on these.
    Anyone got these?
    i spotted a pair of Swarovski in the for sale section. Again tempted. But I do like the idea of new.
    If you like the idea of new why not look at Zeiss HD 8x42. I have a pair and to be honest comparing them to my mates Swarvo 7x42 I see no difference.

I have enquired over the ones in the sales page. The ones that are for sale are a 7-42 B. What's the B? It seem to refer to an old model?

Would you you opt for the 42 over the 30mm Objective lens? Is 10x a little big? I have not yet progressed onto Deer Stalking yet but that's my aim.

I see the Swarovski fanatics are out in force again - OK, they are probably the best of the best but not everyone can afford them and there are warranty advantages to buying something new (and some of us just want "new").

I recently bough a new set of Vortex Vipers - 380 with a lifetime, no quibble warranty. Last light performance is so close to any Swarovskis I have used that it is no more that a couple of minutes at worst.

As a compromise between the best and spending a lot (Swar.) , and getting reasonable value, the following may be worth looking at:
    Meopta Meostar
    Steiner Predator
    Vanguard Endeavor HD
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

More homework needed. I am down near Exeter next week so I will take a visit to the sportsman centre to handle a few. I really do like the Swarovski but can I justify the spend. Need to think.

As Eric points out Steiner are very good.
    I have a pair that have been up against zeiss and swaros and there's very little difference between them with one person preferring the contrast given by the steiners as better than that offered by the zeiss.

in edit....I have both zeiss 10x40bt conquests and Steiner ranger pro 10x42and prefer the Steiner.
    Last edited by limulus; 21-04-2016 at 16:38.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks