Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lea McNally?

Lea McNally?

HI, can anyone give me a biography of Lea MacNally? I have read bits and peices about him here and there, reference to him doing a lot of deer culling with a .222 or a .243, writing books and setting up a museum of some sort, he was some sort of Forest Ranger I understand? He seems like an interesting man and I just wondered if someone knew more about him, I googled him before and came up with very little apart from what some people have mentioned in passing on this forum...
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 22-04-2016 at 08:55.

Where to start
    highland year
    torridon
    man knew more and wrote more about stalking than most will ever dream of knowing

it was his life

When he was a regular contributor to Shooting Times I remember reading of his invite to stalk with Prince Charles at Balmoral. He was tickled pink when the prince insisted on acting as his gillie for the day and even carrying McNally's rifle and conducting the gralloch.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

There is a an old video of a program called Jacks Game in which he took Jack Charlton stalking reds on Torridon. Wf1

Don't forget his son is also Lea , and is alive and well as a stalker. As is his brother Michael.

His...Lea seniors... books are well worth looking out. I was lucky enough to share a blether and a dram with him a couple of times in Kintail.

I only met the man twice, , an interesting man indeed, new his stuff on red deer, a good writer,and an excellent photographer
    Three of his books are sitting in front of me as I type this

The Year of the Red Deer

The Highlands Deer Forest

Highlands Year

Met the man once, many years back. Whilst in the highlands stalking with bad weather for company, we decided to take a ride over to Torridon to see the small museum he had set up. Whilst wandering around the place I bumped into him and had a very interesting few minutes conversation with the man. A true countryman and stalker who lived for his job.

I always remember the head in the museum of a Red Stag with a ruck sack stuck on its antlers, and if memory serves me correct the building was an old larder converted. Like I said it was along time ago, guessing about 24 years.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    I only met the man twice, , an interesting man indeed, new his stuff on red deer, a good writer,and an excellent photographer
    Three of his books are sitting in front of me as I type this

The Year of the Red Deer

The Highlands Deer Forest

Highlands Year
    Thank you, I've just ordered the first two books on Amazon.

I will do the same,

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    I will do the same,
    Just shout if you need any assistance from this side.