Thread: Norma .222 50 grain ammo

Norma .222 50 grain ammo

I did a trade for three packets of Norma .222 50 grain factory ammo any one use this stuff on animals bigger than Foxes I have a .22 Hornet for small game,
    we don't have any calibre restriction in New Zealand and I have a spot were I can hunt Fallow would the Norma bullet hold up on this size deer I know their 55 grain
    bonded bullet will, Robert.

Yes, they are decent bullets, would happily use them on fallow.
    If you dont reload I will have the brass....

Took an 8 point red stag last week with my Sako .222.
    (55g interlocks though)

I have used them on roe deer (the limit here) . also have some 55gr here IIRC
    I use Norma brass exclusively and up until reloading exclusively in factory ammo in 243 and 270...

too bloody expensive now!

[QUOTE=Carlsen Highway;1106535]Yes, they are decent bullets, would happily use them on fallow.
    If you dont reload I will have the brass....

Sorry I reload, A friend sold his .222 and had 3 boxes left got them for a good trade, price sticker on one was $15.00

I know what mean Norma is good stuff used lots of it years ago in 6mm Rem 6.5x55 and .308, their hunting bullets are great but like you said way too expensive the regular Hornady Speer and Sierra
    bullets work on the animals down here no need to buy the pricey stuff

Hi

I use the soft point variety for Muntjac and in Scotland Roe - they have always worked very well for me and I see no reason they would not with appropriate shots.

L

in fact I have two boxes of Norma .224 in 53gr form sitting here

rarity to get norma components in this country

I'd be wary of using the 50gr on fallow - it will work fine with perfect shot placement, avoiding shoulder/leg bones.

But if you have hit shoulder, especially at more than about 50 metres, you will get a runner. Probably quite a long runner.

I'd be wary of using the 50gr on fallow - it will work fine with perfect shot placement, avoiding shoulder/leg bones.

But if you have hit shoulder, especially at more than about 50 metres, you will get a runner. Probably quite a long runner.

I have only used the NOrma 50g on goats but it worked well enough I would use them on fallow. Goats are hardier than fallow deer in my opinion.
    53 grain TSX's will break shoulders on red stags if you can them to shoot well enough in a trebly. Decent deer bullets I know of are the 50 and 55 grain Norma, 55 grain interlock SP, 60 grain interlock SP and the aforementioned 53 TSX's. The 45 grain TSX may prove to be the best of the lot but I have not tried them yet. It is hard to beat the cost versus performance of the modest 55 grain Hornady interlock. (2266 w/c)
    (These 53 TSX's may not stabilise properly in a .222 Remington - but I can get them to shoot 1.5 - 1.8 inches which is good enough for bush hunting distances at deer sized targets, and they certainly penetrate well enough on deer.)
    I have tried the 70 grain SPeer, which everyone said would stabilise in a 1:14 - but no! Eight inch groups.

My .222 is a deer rifle, and I have never polluted its bore with varmint bullets.

Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 23-04-2016 at 05:17.