Death of an old warrior

I'd very much like to hear the story that accompanies this photo

We were looking for shamba raiders with my friend Nate, and spotted this old boy with a buddy of his. We got within 30-40 yards on all fours and on our tummies, took us quite a while, and then had to wait for a clear shot.

Nate sent him a 400 grains Woodleigh from a .416 Rigby, right in the boiler room, breaking a leg on the way in.

Long story short, we tracked that fellow for one kilometer before to catch up with him, lying down behind a bush. When he saw us, he still stood up. Too tired to do much else, but he stood up and faced us...

Once everything was said and done, we found that the first bullet had torn a hole through the heart. Big friggin' hole. Through. The. Heart. And he went one kilometer, and stood up... We checked and rechecked all the rounds, accounted for all the holes, because we could not believe it. I've got a picture of that heart, will get the link.

Tough bugger, died standing. Had seen things in his life, full of lion scars...

My hat down to him.

Seems a shame to shoot the old warrior

If you were a buffalo, knowing what lions do to your brethren when they get too old and weak to defend themselves, you'd pray everyday that your death be at the hand of a hunter.

Lions are not killers, they are perfectly content with getting the prey to the ground and hold it there, while the rest of the bunch eats the thing alive. Not a pretty sight, and not a pretty death.

Without hooks to defend himself, that old chap would not have lasted very long in that area.

In your album is a man in a hospital ward with his thigh literally blown apart! 400grain bullet also? I served in Liberia and Sierra Leone after the civil war but I tell you what, your photos are hard core! Respect.

The blown thigh is from a hippo bite. I've seen several people chewed like that, but not alive like this one... Lucky fellow.

I have a collection of pictures of people who found themselves at the wrong end of elephants, lions, leopards, and such. I use to show them to photo safari clients before taking them to the great outdoors, helps them to listen when I tell them how to behave when we meet critters close by... :D

Lots of people come around under the impression that things are like in the Lion King, and that animals in general are just waiting to be patted on the head or scratched behind the ears!

Just looked through your photos if that buffalo's heart is the one shown first that's mental people say munties are tough not quite the same
What a job you have hope you never think just another day in the office
Jake

In your album is a man in a hospital ward with his thigh literally blown apart! 400grain bullet also? I served in Liberia and Sierra Leone after the civil war but I tell you what, your photos are hard core! Respect.
Also see in the album the picture Elephant Tusk to the Face. Ouch.

Last edited:
What a boy. I bet he had seen a few things. Let's hope when we get old someone will do the same for us. Stuff that nursing home stuff.

Sorry if I'm being dull, but where is the link to the other pics?

Paul if you click on the main pic it takes you to photo bucket then you click on other albums I only found out you could do it today

Was that 400 grainer a Woodleigh Hydrostat?
If so, can you give me some impressions of that bullet in any calibre that you use please.
I use these in .30 cal on Sambar deer.
Grant.

Was that 400 grainer a Woodleigh Hydrostat?
If so, can you give me some impressions of that bullet in any calibre that you use please.
I use these in .30 cal on Sambar deer.
Grant.

That particular bullet was a Woodleigh soft.

I personally use Woodleigh Hydro in my .458 Lott, excellent bullet, makes a large wound channel in soft tissues. Not as large as a soft, but definitely larger than any other solid I have used.

Very good for buffalo, hippo, and large things. However on lighter animals, a good soft would be better. Barnes TSX are my favourite; A-Frame, Woodleigh, North Fork, GS Customs, CEB, and many others have top-notch bullets.

How does the Hydro perform on Sambar? Mostly exit holes?

That particular bullet was a Woodleigh soft.

I personally use Woodleigh Hydro in my .458 Lott, excellent bullet, makes a large wound channel in soft tissues. Not as large as a soft, but definitely larger than any other solid I have used.

Very good for buffalo, hippo, and large things. However on lighter animals, a good soft would be better. Barnes TSX are my favourite; A-Frame, Woodleigh, North Fork, GS Customs, CEB, and many others have top-notch bullets.

How does the Hydro perform on Sambar? Mostly exit holes?
They generally knock them down to start with and then most stay down. Of course there are still runners as with anything.
The internal damage is generally more than other bullets that I have used, that's probably why it's difficult for them to get up and run.
The exit hole isn't much bigger than the entry, the damage is done internally.
IMG_2115.JPG
Entry 30.06
Grant.

Back