Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Displaced Distal Radius Fracture with Open Reduction

Displaced Distal Radius Fracture with Open Reduction

Recently I snapped my radius and fractured my ulna on my right hand looking for a stag I just shot - doh. They've put a plate in to secure the radius. I asked the orthopaedic surgeon how long before I can shoot a 30-06 again and he was unsure. For those that snapped their wrist and were able to bend it enough to get it around the trigger how long before you let off some crackers?
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

snapped mine just above the wrist on a 360 digger when I was 20 think I was banging one out within 2-3 wks

Outstanding.

I had an open dislocation of the left lunate bone in wrist. It is my trigger hand. After surgery and in plaster I was able to shoot the 22lr after three or four weeks. Plaster and pins came out after ten weeks, but it was several months before I could take much recoil through it. Now will happily shoot a few magnum 12 bore shells at geese and the odd shot with a rifle. I still though find lots of shots with a 12 uncomfortable, so tend to use a light load.

Keep smiling. It does get better. Keep those fingers moving - even get physio on them whilst in plaster.

Hello 'mchughcb', In 2005 I sustained what is affectionatly known in the medical profession as as a 'dinner-fork' fracture of my right wrist (am right handed). It gets the name from the resulting shape of wrist and hand after the 'incident'! Mine was brought about while cross-country running and attempting to 'take a gate' in full flight...duhhh!!! Anyhow, I'm looking at the xray now as I type. I had a 6" titanium plate inserted along with 8 screws. Looking at the xray I still find it difficult to reconcile having that much metal-work in such a confined space and be totally unaware of it, ever!
    I had a plaster on for 8 weeks! When it came off I thought I'd never be able to pull the trigger again, never mind able to hold the gun, fly-fish etc etc. However after being 'hard' with the physio I was shooting within 3-4 weeks, .22 rimfire, .308 and 12 gauge. It was uncomfortable to begin with, however I soon forgot about it. Everyone will be different, but don't despair you will soon be back doing all you wish, and gradually you become totally unaware you ever had an injury. Good luck with it anyway and hope you are soon 'up and at 'em'!

ATB,

'Camodog'.

Thanks mate. That's great to hear of a full recovery.

Well after four weeks and one day I let off 4 x 32gm loads with the 12 bore. A little painful but not as much as losing a lung. Should be the home stretch now.

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    Thanks mate. That's great to hear of a full recovery.
    Done similar over 2 year a go and still not quite right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	69699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	69700

Very good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery, a Colles fracture, with the classic dinner fork deformity. the secret is in the physio to come. All the very best Tom

Geez mark you broke the ulna, I just had a hairline fracture in mine. Hope it gets better.