Sika in Australia...shhhh!

John Gryphon

Very few people actually know they are here,I have only seen them in a farm situation.

Wild? who knows if any have escaped or been allowed to!

Note donkey headed stag in background.
Note second photo is not mine,rest are.

puresika.jpg

A couple of red x sika in fine fettle.

HWT44.jpg

More donkey heads

sikabull.jpg

sikareds.jpg

Four year old stag antlers.

redsika4yrs.jpg

if they ever escaped it would be into one of the thickest forest ranges that spreads over several million acres.

Last edited:
I think I was having a blond bay was looking for long drooping ears! Is there a reason to cross breed do you get better carcase weight or calmer stock or just novelty value
Jake

Don,t know why they cross them, but it happens naturally in the wild, plenty in Ireland, we had a Sika running with some reds in the new forest, shot him quickly, in NZ there is always discussion about some of the big Sika heads having red in them.

Very few people actually know they are here,I have only seen them in a farm situation.

Wild? who knows if any have escaped or been allowed to!

Note donkey headed stag in background.
Note second photo is not mine,rest are.

puresika.jpg

A couple of red x sika in fine fettle.

HWT44.jpg

More donkey heads

sikabull.jpg

sikareds.jpg

Four year old stag antlers.

redsika4yrs.jpg

if they ever escaped it would be into one of the thickest forest ranges that spreads over several million acres.

Look like Manchurian Sika to me.

Cervus Nippon Hortulorum is the species..the original blood came from the North of Poland as related by the owner in one of the farming magazines here.
[h=3][/h][h=3][/h]

[h=3]Sika deer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/h]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sika_deer

Wikipedia

The sika deer (Cervus nippon) also known as the spotted deer or the Japanese deer, is a ... Cervus nippon hortulorum qtl5.jpg. Male (stag). Male sika breeding ...Formosan sika deer - ‎Manchurian sika deer - ‎North China sika deer

[h=3]Dybowski's sika deer (Cervus nippon hortulorum ... - NCBI[/h]www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...

National Center for Biotechnology Information

by J Krojerová-Prokesová - ‎2013 - ‎Cited by 2 - ‎Related articles
J Hered. 2013 May-Jun;104(3):312-26. doi: 10.1093/jhered/est006. Epub 2013 Mar 1. Dybowski's sika deer (Cervus nippon hortulorum): genetic divergence ...

Images for Cervus Nippon Hortulorum aReport images

More images for Cervus Nippon Hortulorum a

[h=3]Cervus nippon - Wikimedia Commons[/h]https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cervus_nippon

Wikimedia Commons

Mar 2, 2014 - Cervus nippon Temminck, 1838 (Least Concern) ... 1.1.1 Dybowski's Sika Deer (Cervus nippon hortulorum); 1.1.2 Formosan Sika Deer (Cervus ...

[h=1]Dybowski's sika deer (Cervus nippon hortulorum): genetic divergence between natural primorian and introduced Czech populations.[/h]Krojerová-Prokesová J1, Baranceková M, Voloshina I, Myslenkov A, Lamka J, Koubek P.
[h=3]Author information[/h]

[h=3]Abstract[/h]Dybowski's sika deer (Cervus nippon hortulorum) originally inhabited the majority of the Primorsky Krai in Far Eastern Russia, north-eastern China, and Korean Peninsula. At present, only the Russian population seems to be stable, even though this taxon is still classified as endangered by the Russian Federation. Almost 100 years ago, this subspecies, among others, was imported to several European countries including the Czech Republic. We used both mitochondrial (mtDNA; the cytochrome b gene and the control region) and nuclear DNA markers to examine the actual taxonomic status of modern Czech Dybowski's sika population and to compare the genetic diversity between the introduced and the native populations. Altogether, 124 Czech samples and 109 Primorian samples were used in the analyses. Within the samples obtained from individuals that were all morphologically classified as Dybowski's sika, we detected mtDNA haplotypes of Dybowski's sika (84 samples), as well as those belonging to other sika subspecies: northern Japanese sika (25 samples), southern Japanese sika (6 samples), and south-eastern Chinese sika (8 samples). Microsatellite analysis revealed a certain level of heterozygote deficiency and a high level of inbreeding in both populations. The high number of private alleles, factorial correspondence analysis, and Bayesian clustering analysis indicate a high level of divergence between both populations. The large degree of differentiation and the high number of population-specific alleles could be a result of a founder effect, could be a result of a previously suggested bottleneck within the Primorian population, and could also be affected by the crossbreeding of captive individuals with other sika subspecies.

The Dybowski's have been here about two decades. The embryo's & semen was imported by a good mate of mine from Poland. They are only allowed in Vic & SA, but they are in several locations now. At the international deer expo held here a decade ago, there were straws up for auction, its hardly a big secret. There was a herd of Formosan sika still present in NSW in the 50's & the "traditional" red deer herd in the Grampians absorbed the Formosan sika they shared the range with. Sika is still noticable in the phenotype of many red deer there today.

They were imported specifically for velvet production, sika velvet is more valuable than that from red deer or elk.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's as much a secret as many of the hunters in Aus are just idiots. I never fail to be shocked by "deer hunters" here that don't know all the species we have established let alone the odd balls. If only Elds deer had established in the top end hey!

Having said that, I've heard of a bloke near Adelaide that has sika, never laid eyes on them in this country though.

The Dybowski have been here about two decades. The embryo's & semen was imported by a good mate of mine from Poland. They are only allowed in Vic & SA, but they are in several locations now. At the international deer expo held here a decade ago, there were straws up for auction, its hardly a big secret. There was a herd of Formosan sika still present in NSW in the 50's & the "traditional" red deer herd in the Grampians absorbed the Formosan sika they shared the range with. Sika is still noticable in the phenotype of many red deer there today.

They were imported specifically for velvet production, sika velvet is more valuable than that from red deer or elk.

Of course its no secret at all,I posted those very same pics on the now defunct OzDeer hunting site about nine years ago maybe longer ago than that.
There were many hunters that didnt have a clue that Sika were actually here.

Now as to where the wild ones are,thats secret!

The sssh was/is tongue in cheek!

AC imported the Dybowski semen from Poland in 2001 and is well documented in the deer farming notes.

Back