Thread: When the airlines says the gun must be dismantled...

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA

When the airlines says the gun must be dismantled...

Do they mean taking the bolt out or do they mean I have unscrew the stock from the action? I will be verifying with the airline, just wondering what you guys have run into.
    Thanks

I suspect when they say "gun" they mean shotgun. I've travelled quite a bit with rifles and never had to do anything. They don't even know what a gun or a rifle is - never mind a bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    Do they mean taking the bolt out or do they mean I have unscrew the stock from the action? I will be verifying with the airline, just wondering what you guys have run into.
    Thanks
    You are doing the correct thing, getting it in black and white from the airline, do not rely on advice given on here based on our experiences, each airline is different, and not all abide by their own rules, print off anything you get from them and take it to check-in.
    Cheers
    Richard

I have been looking into the 'new' cheap airline Norwegian and their T&Cs for the carriage of firearms states that the firearm must be taken apart and say the stock must be separate from the action !
    The only sensible way I can interpret that is when referring to a shotgun.
    Before anybody starts, I know some rifles can also be taken apart in this way but I think the process mentioned would not be practical for most rifles.
    I used to take my Remmy apart, barrelled action from the stock to make use of a smaller case when travelling but I also carried a torque wrench to put it together at the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I have been looking into the 'new' cheap airline Norwegian and their T&Cs for the carriage of firearms states that the firearm must be taken apart and say the stock must be separate from the action !
    The only sensible way I can interpret that is when referring to a shotgun.
    Before anybody starts, I know some rifles can also be taken apart in this way but I think the process mentioned would not be practical for most rifles.
    I used to take my Remmy apart, barrelled action from the stock to make use of a smaller case when travelling but I also carried a torque wrench to put it together at the other end.
    I've booked a couple of trips to the UK this year flying with Norwegien plus rifle. Rifle transport paid at time of booking. I just remove the bolt head , Mauser M03 and pack in my suitcase. Simple.

Taken from there website.
    Sporting weapons and ammunitionMax 20 kg
    Weapons and ammunition for hunting or can be carried in your checked baggage, but because we always put safety first, there are certain restrictions.
    Conditions for travel with a weapon:
    You must inform our check-in staff if you are traveling with a weapon or ammunition.
    You must pack the gun in a hard case.
    You must remove the bolt (or rifle stock if it is a gun) and transport separately and not together with the weapon.
    You may bring up to 5 kg ammunition in the original packaging.
    All flights (excl. International long-haul flights)
    250-300 SEC (online) 350-450 SEC (airport)
    International långdistandsflyg
    400 SEK (online) 450 SEK (airport)

Racking a 1911 at Gatwick Airports checkin desk to prove to American Airlines that it was not loaded was a bit nerve racking.