Rainy Season Hunt

Muir

This is the rainy time of the year in my locale and the low land flooding has saturated the ground around many public sites including the local cemeteries. This has brought on the annual crop of zombies released from the ground as their coffins float to the surface. It's an annual nuisance that the County officials have not been able to keep a handle on. This year, to ease the burden on County workers, the they have issued permits to hunt them and I was lucky enough to draw one. I thought it appropriate that I should select my Ruger 300 "Black Out" for this hunt as the ranges won't be too far but shot placement will be the priority. This little rifle has proven itself to be very accurate out to 300 yards.

In preparation for the hunt I ordered some Nozler 110 grain "E-RADicator" White Tips as pictured below. Not cheap but worth the premium price in this instance.
Ruger%20AAC%20Varmegeddon_zps0spqqmeg.jpg

Loaded over a full case of Lil Gun and touched off with a CCI BR-4 primer, these ivory-tipped babies will pop the gourd of any zombie foolish enough to cross my path. The best part is that if I drop my magazine in the dead of night -excuse the pun- I'll be able to find it pretty quick.~Muir

varneggedon_zpsfkx9xpnz.jpg

Last edited:
This is the rainy time of the year in my locale and the low land flooding has saturated the ground around many public sites including the local cemeteries. This has brought on the annual crop of zombies released from the ground as their coffins float to the surface. It's an annual nuisance that the County officials have not been able to keep a handle on. This year, to ease the burden on County workers, the they have issued permits to hunt them and I was lucky enough to draw one. I thought it appropriate that I should select my Ruger 300 "Black Out" for this hunt as the ranges won't be too far but shot placement will be the priority. This little rifle has proven itself to be very accurate out to 300 yards.

In preparation for the hunt I ordered some Nozler 110 grain "E-RADicator" White Tips as pictured below. Not cheap but worth the premium price in this instance.
Ruger%20AAC%20Varmegeddon_zps0spqqmeg.jpg

Loaded over a full case of Lil Gun and touched off with a CCI BR-4 primer, these ivory-tipped babies will pop the gourd of any zombie foolish enough to cross my path. The best part is that if I drop my magazine in the dead of night -excuse the pun- I'll be able to find it pretty quick.~Muir

varneggedon_zpsfkx9xpnz.jpg

:zzz:Another overbored cartridge. (yawn!)

Tim.243

You been drinking too much hooch again Cuz, you know all those zombies got whacked last year :)

John

What is this fixation that you guys over the pond have with Zombies? There seems to be a whole shooting industry built around it. A bit like the Scots going haggis hunting.

Well! Obviously the UK isn't plagued by those rancid ba&tards like the US is.:D
I don't know what the zombie fascination is. The bullet pictured are factory over runs of a 110 Varmageddon produced by Nosler for a company called Novieski, who markets high dollar specialty ammo. In this case it is their 300 AAC round. I ordered them because they were REALLY inexpensive. What I didn't catch in the advert was that the tips glow in the dark. I was examining the bullets at my kitchen table after work and happened to shut off the light as I left the room. I was pretty shocked to see the bullets glowing green in the dark. It only lasts about 8 minutes so I have no clue what they were trying to accomplish. I don't care if they whistle Dixie as long as they shoot! Anyhow, I loaded fifty and decided to have some fun with them ala photo and zombie yarn. Forgive the late night silliness.~Muir

That's a good looking little rifle. Must be a hoot to go after prairie dogs with 110-gr out of that thing. When I went to Palmetto Armory last time, they had all kinds of factory ammo for the .300 AAC. It's the rage.

Thanks. It's "utilitarian" for sure but it shoots like a house afire. Whoever is making Ruger's barrels these days is doing it right. The 300 AAC is a no brainer. I saw off .223, Fl size and trim. Ready to load. I haven't shot a prairiedog with it but I am eyeballing river bottom whitetails for the fall season.

The 300 AAC is a pretty nice little round. I did sub sonic work with the (identical) 300 Whisper many years ago and this time around, I'm having a ball with supersonic loadings from 110 to 168 grains. On our impromptu range we have taken my Ruger 300 and banged a 7" by 9" steel plate at 500 yards, shooting prone, using 135 grain Sierra Varminters. It took 25MOA of elevation :eek: but it did the work. I shot the same plate at 350 yards using Sierra Palma 155 grain @ 1955 fps and, after taking three shots to get my elevation and windage, pasted it with 12 consecutive hits before moving on to the 400 yard target. One thing about this round for long range play: You need to keep pretty meticulous DOPE. I keep a range book in my bag and record everything.

A club member just bought a Ruger American like mine and I met him at the range with a sampling of my super sonic loadings. we put up that same 7x9 plate at 200 and he chewed the paint out of a 3" circle in the center of it using some of my 130 grain handloads. He's hooked. :D~Muir

Thanks! I hope those Varmageddon bullets shoot well: My price at one distributor just dropped to $15.40/100 so I bought an additional 1000. It's a sickness.~Muir

It's a terrible sickness but I think you just have to keep relieving the symptoms... no cure afterall!

My sickness may be just that, but my sense of timing is good. Thursday night when I placed my last order they had 24,600 of these Varmegeddon bullets in stock. Yesterday at noon they were sold out. I shot them yesterday morning: half minute @ 2416 fps using a starting charge of Lil Gun.~Muir

My sickness may be just that, but my sense of timing is good. Thursday night when I placed my last order they had 24,600 of these Varmegeddon bullets in stock. Yesterday at noon they were sold out. I shot them yesterday morning: half minute @ 2416 fps using a starting charge of Lil Gun.~Muir

Oooh, nice!

Back